Tail Regrowth or Ich?

Ahughes1805

Hello, I have a 20 gal with black mollies and nerite snails. While at work one of the mollies gave birth and was able to locate 5 fry. I noticed 1 fry had possible been nipped because the tail fin was slightly shredded at the top (like missing) getting a picture is hard due to their size but it looks like the tail fin top is regrowing but white. The whiteness is larger then what I’ve seen of ich before. Water parameters are as followed.

PH:  7.6

Nitrite:  0

Nitrate:  0

Ammonia:  0

All the fish and other fry are swimming and acting normal and no visual issues on other fry and fish. The fry seem to be bullying one another too. 

The fry are in same tank but in netted box right now. 

On 9/25/2022 at 12:36 PM, Ahughes1805 said:

Hello, I have a 20 gal with black mollies and nerite snails. While at work one of the mollies gave birth and was able to locate 5 fry. I noticed 1 fry had possible been nipped because the tail fin was slightly shredded at the top (like missing) getting a picture is hard due to their size but it looks like the tail fin top is regrowing but white. The whiteness is larger then what I’ve seen of ich before. Water parameters are as followed.

PH:  7.6

Nitrite:  0

Nitrate:  0

Ammonia:  0

All the fish and other fry are swimming and acting normal and no visual issues on other fry and fish. The fry seem to be bullying one another too. 

The fry are in same tank but in netted box right now. 

It is not ich. The only way fish can get ich is other fish that has been introduced into the tank with ich. Most likely it will be fungus. I recommend taking out the babies or the parents because the parents will bother and try eat the fry. If the white gets worse you should try treating it for fungus 

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 2:48 PM, DiscusLover said:

It is not ich. The only way fish can get ich is other fish that has been introduced into the tank with ich. Most likely it will be fungus. I recommend taking out the babies or the parents because the parents will bother and try eat the fry. If the white gets worse you should try treating it for fungus 

I’ll see how the individual fry does. The parents can’t get to the fry but I’m thinking when the fry was born it got nipped since I didn’t have the pregnant molly separated yet. 

Thanks!

On 9/25/2022 at 7:37 PM, quikv6 said:

May be unrelated, but just checking to see the tank is cycled. Zero nitrates can sometimes indicate an immature/uncycled tank, which can result in issues, especially when dealing with an illness or injury.

Thanks for the insight. Tank has been running for 4 months now. I did run into 1 random nitrite spikes at the end of the first month of the tank being set up. When I did find something like that I was doing 25% water change, test and if still high do another change the next 1-3 days. I also do 10%-15% water changes weekly. The last time I had higher nitrates it was at most, 40ppm.