My LFS Daydream

Cleveland M

To pass the time at work I often daydream about opening a LFS. Could never happen IRL as my town way too small and there are 3 good ones within 45 minute drive of me.

I usually go with ACO type racks but can never decide on 20 talls or 20 longs for the sales tanks.

Thought it might be fun to discuss what you would use and why.

I'd go for 20 talls.

20 longs make great displays, but the 6" of space you save with a tall tank compared to a long one can allow you to have a whole extra tank at the end of the row if you have a row of 4 tanks, if that makes sense. You might be able to cram more fish into a 20 long, but I don't think you could make up for a whole extra 20 tall doing it that way.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:44 AM, Chris said:

I'd go for 20 talls.

20 longs make great displays, but the 6" of space you save with a tall tank compared to a long one can allow you to have a whole extra tank at the end of the row if you have a row of 4 tanks, if that makes sense. You might be able to cram more fish into a 20 long, but I don't think you could make up for a whole extra 20 tall doing it that way.

That's my daydream dilemma, ease of netting fish and better display vs more tanks in the lineup. Also the "stack" of 20 longs would be lower. Just can't figure out if those benefits outweigh the loss of tanks per sq ft.

• Like 1

I would say it depends on what you’d like to focus on in your dream store. I probably would have a mix of both depending on what I’m stocking. 

For plant tanks, I would use 20 longs because I would have more floor room. Same goes for if I wanted to sell lots of bottom dwellers in high numbers. For most nano fish and mid-sized fish, I would probably put them in a 20 high. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 12:09 PM, AnimalNerd98 said:

I would say it depends on what you’d like to focus on in your dream store. I probably would have a mix of both depending on what I’m stocking. 

Of course you can have both 🤦‍♂️ and that will give me a lot more hours of design/redesign.