Spotted headstander

pictish Aquatics

I have heard that headstanders are breedable (is that a word?) but must be fed very well and have no tank mates in a minimum 450 liter tank.

My Swiss equivalent of @Dean’s Fishroom keeps them and has only aver had 1 successful spawn. I'll try and ask him tomorrow.

pH is certainly in the 5.5-6.5 range, and soft water is probably the norm. (I've tagged Deans fish room in the hope that he has bred them. I'll tag @Guppysnail to 'cos he seems to breed everything short of lions 🙃)

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I have heard that headstanders are breedable (is that a word?) but must be fed very well and have no tank mates in a minimum 450 liter tank.

My Swiss equivalent of @Dean’s Fishroom keeps them and has only aver had 1 successful spawn. I'll try and ask him tomorrow.

pH is certainly in the 5.5-6.5 range, and soft water is probably the norm. (I've tagged Deans fish room in the hope that he has bred them. I'll tag @Guppysnail to 'cos he seems to breed everything short of lions 🙃)

Thank you that would be great . From what I've read some say there egg scatters and some say they lay on plant roots .

• Like 1

Morning @pictish_samurai!

I had a nice long chat with my fish friend, and he states that: 

pH: 6-6.5

Tolerable nitrite and nitrate

Blackwater

Large eggs are laid among moss or floating plants and hatch after 1-3 days, feed fry with BBS or egg yolk (check out the KeepingFishSimple YouTube channel for his recommendations on fry food).

Two pairs per aquarium, tank size 21-35 gallon.

He wouldn't recommend breeding them because they are hard to offload to a store or on the inter web.(in Europe).

Good Luck!