Gouramis, hemirhamphodons: group dynamics, adding fish to existing groups

Jess

I keep two fish species (Sphaerichthys sp. and Hemirhamphodon sp.) that I was surprised to find are...hmm, territorial and a little grumpy with each other.  A good deal of chasing, but (so far) no injuries and their beautiful, rich coloration and good eating suggests they are healthy and happy.  I have 8 Sphaerichthys sp. and 7 Hemirhamphodon sp. in a 45-gallon (36" x 12" x 24" high) planted tank (with floating plants too).

The question is about group "dynamics" for fish that are kind of "semi-aggressive" like this.  If I add 4-6 Sphaerichthys sp. would that actually help with their aggression or would the newer group get bullied?  I know Cory has mentioned one approach for minimizing aggression is to either have only 1 of the fish, or a lot of them.  Also, what about if these 4-6 fish are smaller than the existing 8?

For the Hemirhamphodons, my inclination is to not add any because they almost only inhabit the surface, so there relative space is kinda more "2-dimensional" - at least this is my observation.  As long as I have floating plants, the 7 of them only generally "bicker" around meal times.

I'd appreciate others' thoughts and experiences, especially if you've kept big groups of Sphaerichthys!  I have a special affinity for all the species in this genus, for some reason.  Thanks!

Edited by Jess
question clarification

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:46 PM, Fish Folk said:

This is an issue. Your Gourami may be staking out areas to build nests around - especially using your floaters. They'll get irritated with the Halfbeaks for not staying out of their area.

These gouramis aren’t bubble nesters; they’re mouth brooders. 

That said, I have considered the possibility that the fry head to the surface and get ambushed by the halfbeaks. 

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2022 at 11:56 PM, Fish Folk said:

I learn new things every day.

Me too!  These fish are "odd" for gouramis...but that's also why I love them so much.

In fact, I got a different species in the same genus and their behavior is really different.  They're WAY more aggressive and they just...act differently overall.  It's so surprising and wonderful that even fish within the same genus can be so different sometimes.  But also frustrating - not many people seem to keep the fish I have, and even when I find them on instagram or online and email/message them so far no one has answered.  That part is really disappointing, not just because I have specific questions for people who keep these fish (like this thread - it stayed unanswered for over a week and I still truthfully don't know the answer) but also because I'd like to make new friends.  I'm really into fish from Indonesia and Myanmar (no particular reason, it just worked out that way - I also love fish from the Amazon but for now I'm really digging into Borneo region - I even made a powerpoint to learn the geography and type localities of different species!! LOL), so I'd like to make friends with people who are also into that region and maybe have visited/lived there.  

Not that you asked for any of that blabbering...LOL!  Thank you for commenting on my question though - you gave me another insight.  I had been considering a pair of wild bettas for that tank...I think most of them are bubble nesters and you're totally right, that would be a bad idea.  Not even surface area for everyone!  So I really appreciate your comment!!!  I wouldn't have thought of that and may have ended up making a big mistake.

Edited by Jess
  • Thanks 1

That’s wonderful you’re into such niche species. The President of our Aquarium Society was working on a large Lake Inle  biotope tank, but has had that on pause on account of a nuisance snail infestation. Another Club member was focused on nano species from Myanmar streams and rivers. I’m part of PVAS.