Rain simulation

CJs Aquatics

Hey all, so I have ran across some hard to breed fish that some people have suggested potentially rain triggers them. I’ve seen spray bars I’m not well versed in them bc if I’m not mistaken they typically run on canister filters which I don’t run in my fish room currently. My thought was has anyone ever attached a rain shower head to a fish tank? My thoughts are and I’m also not aware of how that works that theoretically mounting it over an open top tank would not only be aesthetically pleasing but if it’s possible to plumb you would be able to essentially make it rain on command. I apologize if this sounds stupid it was just a random though I had that I wondered if anyone had also thought about or ran something similar. I figured shower head, 5 gallon bucket, pond pump attached to shower head in 5 gallon bucket, when you turn it on it empties the bucket as rain into your tank until bucket is empty. This is just a rough thought obviously but you could even use rain water for this application to have the ph shift I would think so it’s just like rain. Idk don’t drag me too bad lol I guess what have you guys done to simulate rain?

• Like 2

I would try a bigish water change to drop the temp use cold water that has had air stones in it to really oxygenate it (like rain water). Deliver via a watering can with a rose to provide the rain drops.

Unless fish are in very shallow water I don't think they'll notice the rain in the sense of drops from the sky as much as they will notice the change in temp and chem.

Aside from surface feeders who will just be really disappointed all those new ripples aren't food.

Shower head and pump will do the same but pay attention to the water 

• Like 3

This is good advice and probably easier then a back burner diy project right now. How cold should the water difference be? How long does it take for the air stones to provide enough oxygen? Should it be a different ph or same water the tank gets just plus added oxygen and a lower temp? Sorry about all the questions I’m about to dial in some breeding soon 

I have made one with a powerhead and a pice a of pvc, hose, and hose clamps. Here the general idea, but I think he is using them with the canister like you had mentioned. I had a power that I was not using and a piece of small pvc. I did the same as the video but used clams to hold the tubing on the powerhead and pipe. I worked well. I took mine down because I wanted some faster moving water for the fish I had. The video gives you an idea but don’t show anything hooked up to the power. I’m sure there is a video of the same thing I did on YouTube because if I could do it I’m sure others have thought of it. If you don’t have the stuff to make I agree with @Flumpweesel and the water change.

Edited by rockfisher
  • Thanks 1

I wonder.... If you could take the drip ends of a drip system and use that to create what you're looking for.  Take the spraybar / air hose bus type of setup that a lot of people use (PVC with holes and taps) and then on each end of that you have a dripper.  You can flow control each drip to make the patterns slightly alternate as well to create a more natural version.  Honestly.... likely with a microcontroller and some switches and something like a dosing pump it could also be done in some capacity.

Interesting, depending what you can mod together.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-SW20-30PS-Irrigation-Watering/dp/B0049C5G18/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=drip+irrigation+emitters&qid=1662691565&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=drip%2Clawngarden%2C222&sr=1-4

Something like this could also provide some insight on setup.

• Thanks 1