Dog Bone

CJs Aquatics

Hey everyone, so I was at the store today picking up some sand for some fishy projects I have coming up and I happened to cross the pets aisle. Does anyone have any idea what would happen if a bone that was meant for a dog was placed in a fish tank, or shrimp tank? Idk where my weird mind comes up with this kinda stuff but it seems like although there are cons it could be a viable idea, just wanted to hear peoples thoughts don’t tear me up too bad lol 

Yes, I had those same thoughts, similar to cuttlebone introducing a minor calcium source I figured perhaps a dog bone would as well. I also thought the huge ones would probably leach food into the water column or provide a very fast place for biofilm to form and be a constant grazing source for fish and shrimp, almost like a pleco on driftwood. Obviously if this were the case there would be an ammonia issue to balance perhaps but I don’t think that would be too much trouble. I was thinking shrimp tank or fry tank, many people introduce leaves or things to grow biofilm so the shrimp/ fry can graze nonstop. Also the more often you feed them the faster they seem to grow, so my thought was, perhaps in a shrimp tank, not only would the bone help add trace minerals to the water but it would be a constant source of food at a very easy price point. Just one of those random weird thoughts that come up lol