Equilibrium

JoeQ

I've been thinking about my tap water parameters all day, and now I have time to relax and post about it 😁

I just tested tds in my tap, it was 307ppm.  When I look at the list of "bad stuff" on the report, I don't see anything that explains that number (but im not sure i know how to read that report).  It'd be nice to know the "good stuff" ppm like ca, mg, k, etc.  And speaking of high numbers- did yall see that pH?  Woo lad!  

@Mmiller2001@Seattle_Aquarist

I'm curious what our aquifer is... spring water running through fossils?  Or is this what north America's waste water in the Mississippi looks like?

Hi @PerceptivePesce

There is not really a direct correlation between TDS (total dissolved solids) and dGH but based upon 307 ppm TDS I am guessing your water is hard, somewhere in the 12-15 dGH range but a test kit for dGH would be better than my guess.  The pH is obviously high, likely due to the water containing high amounts of calcium carbonate which would be found in hard water.  Other than 0.16 ppm of iron not much useful information regarding what we need to know for aquatic plants and fish.  I grew up in St. Louis and I don't believe the Mississippi is that hard, more likely well water through limestone.  -Roy

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/31/2022 at 9:01 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

They are not listing everything. Not having calcium and magnesium is odd.

My online report didn't contain that either.  I was gonna stop by the water company's office to get a more in depth report, but haven't gotten there yet.......

Edited by JoeQ
Added reason
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 6:09 AM, JoeQ said:

My online report didn't contain that either.  I was gonna stop by the water company's office to get a more in depth report, but haven't gotten there yet.......

I called my water system's office this am.  The secretary directed me to a  worker who said he could send more detailed information through email.  It was a pleasant experience. 

Also, I just wanna say ty for starting this thread!  I'm having a good time earning this lay PhD in water chemistry 😁

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 11:47 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

I called my water system's office this am.  The secretary directed me to a  worker who said he could send more detailed information through email.  It was a pleasant experience. 

Also, I just wanna say ty for starting this thread!  I'm having a good time earning this lay PhD in water chemistry 😁

Thanks for the thank you, my posts are usually just a mix of random nonsense but every now and then I accidentally post something useful!  It's nice to be recognized when I do. 🤣🤣

Mmiller2001 and Seattle_Aquarist are incredible with this game of water chemistry (hence why I tagged them). And understanding how to manipulate it is the majority of this battle we go through when keeping indoor ecosystems.  I wish I even had a fraction of the knowledge that those guys have. 👊

Edited by JoeQ
Edit
  • Like 2

@Mmiller2001

@Seattle_Aquarist

The water guy replied today.  He said he was mistaken; his report is the same as what's online.  He said he'd talk to his dhh rep to try to get more info.

So, I bought an api gh & kh test.

My kh test turned yellow after 15 drops!

20220902_190256.jpg.ab0357bd9be03c9ffd59a8fd8523aa74.jpg

My gh test hasnt turned orange after 50, yes, Fifty, drops!  Do I keep going or start the test over?

20220902_191002.jpg.d919b594689d2ebdfeb6814f737e998c.jpg

My tds was 297ppm.

And here's the aco test:

20220902_182105.jpg.71de82554944c88a3ec1794fee03ce15.jpg

This is the api drops conversion chart

20220902_191836.jpg.4d94f349a8d626c7c0923585d5f43217.jpg

On 9/2/2022 at 5:17 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

@Mmiller2001

@Seattle_Aquarist

The water guy replied today.  He said he was mistaken; his report is the same as what's online.  He said he'd talk to his dhh rep to try to get more info.

So, I bought an api gh & kh test.

My kh test turned yellow after 15 drops!

20220902_190256.jpg.ab0357bd9be03c9ffd59a8fd8523aa74.jpg

My gh test hasnt turned orange after 50, yes, Fifty, drops!  Do I keep going or start the test over?

20220902_191002.jpg.d919b594689d2ebdfeb6814f737e998c.jpg

My tds was 297ppm.

And here's the aco test:

This is the api drops conversion chart

Hi @PerceptivePesce

For the dGH test kit it is when the test tube turns from reddish to green; at how many drops did that happen?  Yes, with 15 dKH you have high carbonates, likely calcium carbonates. -Roy

Hmm, high carbonates basically "0" dGH, high pH......sounds like a water softener output.  -Roy

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 9:23 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @PerceptivePesce

For the dGH test kit it is when the test tube turns from reddish to green; at how many drops did that happen?  Yes, with 15 dKH you have high carbonates, likely calcium carbonates. - Roy

The water never turned orange or reddish.  

Here's what happened:

When I squeezed the first kh drop into the tube of tap,  I saw blue and yellow tendrils of dye swirling in the water. Then I shook it and it was a distinct blue color. On the 15th drop it instantly turned yellow.

When I added the first drop of gh solution I never saw any hint of orange.  There was only barely green and as I added more gh solution it just got a darker green.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:23 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hmm, high carbonates basically "0" dGH, high pH......sounds like a water softener output.  -Roy

When I wash my hands at home, it feels like soft water, like I didn't rinse all the soap off.  

• Like 1

Let me guess.  An RO filter is going to be the easiest way to prepare my water for flora and fauna? 

My husband has been looking at RO filters.  There are other applications where RO would be nice.

I was just hoping to avoid premixing water in a 40g and then sump pumping it into my tank for water changes.  I'd rather just turn a spigot and pipe water directly into the tank through a hose.

Will yall hold my hand and teach me what to do?

@Mmiller2001 @Seattle_Aquarist

What info do yall need from me to help me out?

On 9/3/2022 at 7:51 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

Let me guess.  An RO filter is going to be the easiest way to prepare my water for flora and fauna? 

My husband has been looking at RO filters.  There are other applications where RO would be nice.

I was just hoping to avoid premixing water in a 40g and then sump pumping it into my tank for water changes.  I'd rather just turn a spigot and pipe water directly into the tank through a hose.

Will yall hold my hand and teach me what to do?

@Mmiller2001 @Seattle_Aquarist

What info do yall need from me to help me out?

Hi @PerceptivePesce, +1 on offering to help.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:55 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

An RO system is ideal, and with legalization sweeping the states; RO systems are dropping in prices. Have him look in hydroponic stores for cheap RO systems.

I love flapping my gums about planted tanks. So, absolutely will help.

lol

• Like 3

On 9/3/2022 at 10:55 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I love flapping my gums about planted tanks. So, absolutely will help.

Love sucking up the knowledge so keep flapping!!! Thank you! 

My question is (it applies to Gh/equilibrium so I'm reclaiming my thread )!!!

@PerceptivePesce 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Can extreme plant growth lower GH to the point where water changes can't replenish the amount the plants need? 

Reason I ask is because last year fall/  winter, my plants were going gang busters. Come spring I was getting deformed growth but couldn't figure out why, and eventually melt/algea/die off which I blamed on the heat... could this have been a low Gh problem that eventually built back up through water changes once plants stopped growing? 

Edited by JoeQ
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:22 AM, JoeQ said:

Can extreme plant growth lower GH to the point where water changes can't replenish the amount the plants need? 

Reason I ask is because last year fall/  winter, my plants were going gang busters. Come spring I was getting deformed growth but couldn't figure out why, and eventually melt/algea/die off which I blamed on the heat... could this have been a low Gh problem that eventually built back up through water changes once plants stopped growing? 

Hi @JoeQ

Yes, it is certainly possible for plants to utilize the calcium and magnesium (which comprise dGH) and lower the hardness to the point where it can cause symptoms of nutrients deficiencies.  As my plant mass grows the amount of nutrients my tank contains needs to increase as well. 

Also, I continuously have to remind myself that my water parameters do not remain static but is in a constant state of flux (although slow).  For example, in the winter and spring when our local water supply gets a huge influx of rain and snow the level of dissolved nutrients in the water drops.  In the summer and fall when our weather is dry the nutrient concentration in our water increases.  Hope this helps! -Roy

• Thanks 1