Need low light plants

I have a 60 gallon 25 inch tall tank with a fluval fresh and plant 3.0 on top.

The issue with my tank is the height so while the light level in the top 60% of the tank is probably high, down by the sand it's low.

I have tried numerous low to mid light plants and they do well for a month or two and then they get black algae and slowly die.

The only thing currently more green than black is a few java ferns, a dwarf tiger Lily, and some Amazon swords.

I need something that is considered low light that will thrive and out compete this algae.

I have 4 Otto's, 4 nerite snails, and a corydora for my cleaning crew and I dose seachem flourish once a week.

Look for lower light plants that grow fast. Many low light plants are slow growers. Slay away from Anubias because the grow slow. I also look back at the plants that they used in the  70’s and 80’s that grows with the old fashion fluorescent bulbs. 

Green hygro

Hornwort

Sunset hygro

Brazilian pennywort

Marimo balls not traditional but I have several and they can add to your tank. My biggest is about 3-4” across. The price has gone up more than many other plants I think but it’s a thought.

I didn’t want to over lap any of @redfishplants. I tried to stay with fast growing plants as well. I think between the two you should have lots to look at. Good luck and have fun. 

• Like 1

I’m not very experienced with plants as I’ve just gotten into them recently myself…BUT, I have a very low light set up (crappy light that came in a Top Fin kit). What has grown incredibly well for me is Water Sprite (it gets jungle-y very quickly… like in a week. Can grow planted or floating and I’m constantly pruning) and Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus ( also grows like a weed. Clip off the tops when the reach the surface, shove it in the substrate, literally will grow within a week or 2). 

I have a low light tank (29 gallon, 16 inch high, with a finnex sting ray) and my red dwarf plant is basically a weed trying to over tank my tank 🙂 I have to trim it once a week, only to find more Lilly pads in 2-3 days (no kidding). I do dose both EG root tabs and EG liquid fert. I also have great luck with PSO. What about some floating plants? Or pothos? Those will both help to compete for nutrients against algae. As far a floaters -- water lettuce grows a long root system you can always cull so that it doesn't block too much light or set up an airline loop to contain it to a corner.  

• Like 1