Fun little DIY for a HOB

Woogie23

I thought up a little extra filtration while I was was waiting for a few more things I needed to do with my new 75gal. I am using a HOB as an emergency filter while I figure out what I want for filtration. (This is from my  bar tank rescue thread, saving the silver dollars or at least trying). Anyways I have a problem of throwing things away and I kept the little planter containers some of my plants came in. I also had just a few leftover quartz rings I bought awhile back just sitting in a drawer in the bottle still. I put the rings into one planter container, then decided to put two together, then linked them together with some lead weights and dropped it into the HOB behind the filter pad I have in there at the moment. Just figured I'd share with you all, since you guys have been very helpful with all of my questions and very awesome suggestions in helping me in trying to rescue these silver dollars. 

20220821_200744.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This is super cool, does the water flow from the HOB cause the bio media to tumble at all? It resembles the ziss filter in that regard but is awesome even if it didn’t because theoretically the amount of beneficial bacteria these can allow to colonize would optimize the HOB. I’m impressed and interested to see how this works, makes me want to play around with it as well…

• Love 1

I'm not sure if it's moving around. If the HOB pushes enough water through it might be moving around in there. I'll check tomorrow. Don't want to stress these silver dollars anymore than I have and turn on a light right now. One of them has just kinda laid at the bottom since putting them in almost 2 hours ago. 😔