Pennsylvania garage goldfish tank

Nz1986

Okay. I am setting up a 55 gallon goldfish tank in my unattached garage this fall for goldfish. I am in southern Pennsylvania. Yes it gets cold, my plan is running a sponge filter and t 12 fluorescents on a timer directly above the tank through the winter. Has anyone done anything like this before? I have had ponds freeze completely over and the Goldie’s make it through the winter. I am suffering from only having a single tank in my house!

I'd worry about the tank cracking if any ice started forming. I'm pretty sure freezing isn't in the expected range of temps that fish tank manufacturers would consider.

For winter I would think you'd need to insulate that tank really well. 

Does it have to be a tank?

I know someone who uses an old chest freezer as a keep tank for eel fishing. That would provide you with a potentially huge water volume and insulation (remove the lid for safety and the plug). Admittedly this is just an indoor pond and might not be what you are looking for as you already have out door ponds. And it would take some dressing up to look good. But you'd get some recycling kudos to.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:13 PM, Nz1986 said:

The deep freeze is a great idea! That would be an awesome indoor pond

And thus MPS (Multiple Pond Syndrome) begins.

Have you weatherproofed the unattached garage to make it at least a little warmer in the winter? I'm not sure about the specifications of your garage or how feasible it would be.

Good luck with your endeavors!

The garage is insulated. This is just an experiment  know with small ponds in the winter that have frozen over completely with no oxygen being added I have had the fish survive. This is just an idea to keep a few ornamental Goldie’s I like since I do not have room for tank inside the house. This winter is going to be a few feeder comets to see. I will try to update throughout the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

When in the ground, depending on the depth of the pond and the depth of frost in your area, its likely that the pond did not freeze solid and some liquid water remained in the bottom.  With a tank out of the ground, unless you keep enough heat on it to prevent freezing, it will likely freeze solid through the entire water column and thus not leave liquid water for the fish to live in.  I guess it will depend on how cold your area gets and for how long.  I doubt two T-12 lights will give enough heat in an unheated garage to keep everything liquid.

On 8/29/2022 at 9:45 PM, egruttum said:

When in the ground, depending on the depth of the pond and the depth of frost in your area, its likely that the pond did not freeze solid and some liquid water remained in the bottom.  With a tank out of the ground, unless you keep enough heat on it to prevent freezing, it will likely freeze solid through the entire water column and thus not leave liquid water for the fish to live in.  I guess it will depend on how cold your area gets and for how long.  I doubt two T-12 lights will give enough heat in an unheated garage to keep everything liquid.

This makes a lot of sense. If I ever did a outdoor pond I would have to go deep.

On 8/19/2022 at 10:01 PM, Nz1986 said:

Guppysnail Washington Pennsylvania here! Wrong side of the state lol. I have been to York a few times and always enjoyed myself.

I'm from NEPA , This cold water tank idea has my mind stirring. 

On 9/2/2022 at 8:27 AM, Huckleberry said:

This makes a lot of sense. If I ever did a outdoor pond I would have to go deep.

I'm from NEPA , This cold water tank idea has my mind stirring. 

So far so good. I have the tank setup with 3 comets for the first winter and cycle. Going on 2 weeks for now.

• Like 2