Pond Snails & Trumpet Snails in the Same Tank?

KatieF

Would I regret having both trumpet snails and pond snails in the same tank? 

Personally, I enjoy snails. Currently I have 2 tanks with pond snails and one with trumpets. Watching the snails is a favorite aspect of my tanks. 

As it happens, the tank with trumpets has a gravel substrate. The 2 tanks without trumpets have sand substrate. I’ve read that trumpets can be good for a sand tank. But also that once there, they’ll survive a nuclear winter. So I’d better be sure before I turn them loose. 

Substrate health and the ability to transfer plants between all 3 of my tanks, since they’d all have both snail types anyway, would be my main reasons for thinking of having both. 

Any snail fans have thoughts on having both in the same tank? I enjoy having them in separate tanks, so is there any reason to think I’d be really sorry to have both in the same tank? 

Thanks all!

I keep MTS, pond snails, ramshorn snails, and rabbit snails all in the same tank. I haven't regretted it 🙂 They will compete for food but that's about it. I used MTS to churn my sand substrates in the past, but they are hard to get rid of, but by the time you want to get rid of your MTS, you might as well just buy new substrate and set-up a new tank 😛 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems to me that the pond snails populate faster than the trumpets in my tank. I always see baby snails from each, but more pond snail adults than trumpet snails. So I'm not sure if the trumpets are being out competed, that being said, there's a heathy population of both.

• Thanks 1