ZEBRA DANIOS not breeding

EmmaFish

I know this is SUPPOSED to be the easiest fish out there. I has been about a month since I got them. The water parameters are fine, and I am feeding them a variety of high quality frozen food every day (mysis, blood worm, krill, brine shrimp, etc.) I have six adult fish, and I know for sure that at least two of them are females. The tank is a ten gallon bare bottom, the temperature is 80 degrees. But not one of there bellies seems to be growing except when I feed them, of course. I would know if they are carrying eggs because I watch them every day. What could I be doing wrong?

Edited by EmmaFish

When trying to breed fish, you need to consider 4 things:

1. Make sure that they are old enough

2. There are males and females

3. Feed food that will make your fish more likely to breed (Live Brine Shrimp)

4. Make sure that the tank is good for them to breed in. ( Make sure no aggressive tank mates, right substrate and tank size)

My bet is they are spawning (hence no plump bellied girls) and eating the eggs. However, it's far more probable that they are still juvenile fish, so they might not be - a month seems like a lot but it's not really when you think about it. With egg scatterers like the danios I wouldn't think a hard bottom tank would be ideal, unless you have a spawning mop or copious amounts of moss for them to spawn in and provide protection for the eggs.

• Like 1

If zebra danios are going to spawn, they will spawn in the morning. At least, that is what I have experienced with mine.

The best I have ever seen for maximum egg count is shallow water over marbles. They lay their eggs on the fly, scattering them everywhere, and many will get eaten before they hit bottom. The shallow water gives them less time to eat the eggs, and they will fall into the marbles out of reach.

I have also spawned them outdoors in a media mixing pan with the bottom covered with pea gravel and many plants.

• Like 2