BBA/Flourish Excel

Cinnebuns

I've been battling BBA for a couple of months. My LFS suggested flourish excel and I've also heard others say it works. The instructions say use every day but that seems like a lot to me. Is that accurate? Ik sometimes instructions encourage you to use more than you need to or should. 

On 8/15/2022 at 3:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Where is it at in the tank itself?

It started on my Amazon sword. I was pulling off leaves that got it but it kept spreading. Then I tried to pull the algae off without ruining the leaves but it was impossible. Now it's on almost all plants and decor. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Sad 1

One reason I'm motivated to handle it is because I want to move some of the plants to a different tank but I don't want to bring the algae with. I suppose I could treat the specific plants before I move them too. I think hydrogen peroxide works for that? Something like that. I forget lol

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 1:26 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I've been battling BBA for a couple of months. My LFS suggested flourish excel and I've also heard others say it works. The instructions say use every day but that seems like a lot to me. Is that accurate? Ik sometimes instructions encourage you to use more than you need to or should. 

I have done the initial large dose and then use the daily dose sparingly, and only on stubborn BBA. A scientist on the forum who uses it in her work warned about the dangers of the product so I’ve always been reluctant to use anything but a fraction of the recommended amount. The reduced amount combined with light reduction has eliminated BBA in my main display tank. 

I’ve also done spit dosing with a dropper, but it’s difficult when you’re dosing near the bottom of a tall tank. 

On 8/15/2022 at 4:48 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have done the initial large dose and then use the daily dose sparingly, and only on stubborn BBA. A scientist on the forum who uses it in her work warned about the dangers of the product so I’ve always been reluctant to use anything but a fraction of the recommended amount. The reduced amount combined with light reduction has eliminated BBA in my main display tank. 

I’ve also done spit dosing with a dropper, but it’s difficult when you’re dosing near the bottom of a tall tank. 

Ty this helps. Maybe I'll start with every other day for a week and once a week after until I see improvements. Then just occasionally.  I originally was going to go a week with the lights off then I got injured and was sitting in front of the tank all day. Hard to convince yourself to keep the lights off when you are sitting in front of it all day haha. I am going to try to follow through with lights off now tho. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:53 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Maybe I'll start with every other day for a week and once a week after until I see improvements. Then just occasionally.

After I found out just how dangerous this stuff is I decided I didn’t want it building up in my tank water with the everyday dosing. I think I added the daily recommended dose about once a week for about two months and did a few spot doses. 
I also tried removing a plant and painting it on directly. Not a good idea! 😐 

• Thanks 1

Hmmm I have some flourish that I randomly add after large water changes (if I remember). Didn't know it could affect BBA and funnily enough I no longer have any in the tank. Maybe I've given my rosy barbs and SAEs to much credit.

If it is the flourish then light dosing seems to work maybe not overnight but my anubias roots were covered 12 months ago and I've probably only used it two or three times over the year.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:25 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Hmmm I have some flourish that I randomly add after large water changes (if I remember). Didn't know it could affect BBA and funnily enough I no longer have any in the tank. Maybe I've given my rosy barbs and SAEs to much credit.

If it is the flourish then light dosing seems to work maybe not overnight but my anubias roots were covered 12 months ago and I've probably only used it two or three times over the year.

Do you have Flourish Excel? It’s a Glutaraldehyde solution. Aquarium Co-op Easy Carbon is similar. 
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/glutaraldehyde/default.html

On 8/15/2022 at 2:23 PM, Cinnebuns said:

One reason I'm motivated to handle it is because I want to move some of the plants to a different tank but I don't want to bring the algae with. I suppose I could treat the specific plants before I move them too. I think hydrogen peroxide works for that? Something like that. I forget lol

Reverse Respiration should.  I would still treat, QT the plants, then go ahead and move them. 

On 8/15/2022 at 2:48 PM, Patrick_G said:

Do you have the post on this that you can share?  I was considering getting some.

• 6 months later...

Hello All... Mark A.. new to the CARE Forum but not to FW aquarium hobby...

I too am battling a BBA encroachment and saw numerous vids regarding it's (Seachem Flourish Excel) value (Note: Had I known of Easy Carbon being similar, I would have started there).

Yes, the product disclaimers are a bit daunting... but with a bit of precaution and common sense (handling harsh chemicals) I want to give it a try because I Need to stop the BBA !

My question is regarding any potential for toxicity to Snails (nerites & mystery) and well as 'scale-less fish' (Kuhli Loaches), please ?

Also, I too would appreciate a re-post of the mentioned Scientist warning on Flourish Excel use/exposure, please ?

Lastly, I found a great set of 'ML' graduated syringes with 10-inch long, 14-gauge 'blunt' needles that is perfect for direct/spot dosing... available at 'everyone's favorite 

internet shopping' site (name withheld as I am new to Forum name-dropping).

Thank you for whatever advice can be shared regarding BBA & Seachem Flourish Excel !

Mark A.