Catching small fish in planted tank?

EVoyager31

I have a 75g planted tank (with c02) that has about 30-35ish tiger barbs. Was really into them at first but I am thinking of going in another direction fish wise. Maybe I’ll try rainbows or something again, not sure yet. Only thing deterring me is tearing the tank apart to catch the little mosters, and finding a fish store that will take them (including the damaged ones (they fought ALOT before I got a tank boss to calm them down)) and will give me a credit to get something else. 
I’d rather not break my back leaning over the tank and trying to heard them with nets.. so what do you think? Any clever traps they can swim into and not out of? 
Suggestions for what kind of fish to move on to i stead would be appreciated as well. As I said, heavily planted, c02 injection, would like something larger and easier to catch for when I move in a year or so 😜

• Like 2

Here’s what I would try: 

1) Use the biggest net you can find. Plunge it into the tank but hold onto the handle. Wait a couple minutes (clip it on the tank or something) and wait for the fish to settle down. If you have a feeding ring great, if not, just make a temporary one out of airline tubing. Place it in the most open space of the tank. Feed floating pellets and when the fish come up (swish). Repeat as needed.

A group of rainbows would be good but they may be difficult to catch out later (depending on the type you have). I currently have Neon dwarf rainbows and thread fins, the Neon dwarfs can really move. You could also consider a group of discus or angels, big showy fishies that are easier to net out than numerous smaller fish. You could also do a group of larger gouramis like pearls or three spots. 

Edited by AnimalNerd98
  • Like 2

On 8/10/2022 at 10:59 PM, AnimalNerd98 said:

Here’s what I would try: 

1) Use the biggest net you can find. Plunge it into the tank but hold onto the handle. Wait a couple minutes (clip it on the tank or something) and wait for the fish to settle down. If you have a feeding ring great, if not, just make a temporary one out of airline tubing. Place it in the most open space of the tank. Feed floating pellets and when the fish come up (swish). Repeat as needed.

A group of rainbows would be good but they may be difficult to catch out later (depending on the type you have). I currently have Neon dwarf rainbows and thread fins, the Neon dwarfs can really move. You could also consider a group of discus or angels, big showy fishies that are easier to net out than numerous smaller fish. 

Thanks for the tips! And I am considering discus.. I’ve always loved their look but I hear they are difficult to keep. Based on what I’ve read I have similar parameters that they need (soft acidic water, heat, etc.) but I feel like it may be an expensive risk. I wonder if it’d be okay to start with one then add more later or if they have their own territorial issues as well.

• Like 1

I hear that, it can get quite expensive! Hopefully some people with discus can chime in with tips or insights. 

You could also do festivums or uarus. Uarus have a similar size and parenting behavior to discus (and a fraction of their price). Keep us posted on what you decide! 

I had to catch approximately 25 corys. It had lots of plants but also small manzanita branches and rock. I tried to catch them, no luck. I pulled out the rocks, tried again, then the manzanita, and finally gave up and took out the driftwood. Only plants left standing at the end. Good luck. 👍🏻 

Honestly... you're probably going to have to drain almost all of your water, especially if your have lots of decorations and plants. When I had to tear down my 75 a few months ago, I had a BUNCH of small fast fish - not near your number, but have you ever tried catching 1 zebra danio or a juvenile hillstream loach? What I ended up doing was draining about 75% of my water and started moving decorations and hardscape to block off progressively smaller sections of the remaining water, then kept pulling out more and more water. I ended up having to get the last 5 or so gallons to catch the bloody hillstream! 

You can also get something to make or buy a tank divider and slowly move it to corral your fish if your tank is minimally decorated, or just use some food to lure them into your net. Fish may be crafty, but they aren't very smart. Take it as an opportunity to re-scape your tank or change some things that just didn't feel right too!

On 8/11/2022 at 2:37 AM, Luciferkrist said:

Honestly... you're probably going to have to drain almost all of your water, especially if your have lots of decorations and plants. When I had to tear down my 75 a few months ago, I had a BUNCH of small fast fish - not near your number, but have you ever tried catching 1 zebra danio or a juvenile hillstream loach? What I ended up doing was draining about 75% of my water and started moving decorations and hardscape to block off progressively smaller sections of the remaining water, then kept pulling out more and more water. I ended up having to get the last 5 or so gallons to catch the bloody hillstream! 

You can also get something to make or buy a tank divider and slowly move it to corral your fish if your tank is minimally decorated, or just use some food to lure them into your net. Fish may be crafty, but they aren't very smart. Take it as an opportunity to re-scape your tank or change some things that just didn't feel right too!

Tank divider.. theres an idea! That would atleast keep me on on side of the tank.