Fluval Stratum substrate with Pygmy Corydora’s?

So I decided to set up a 20gal planted tank and plan to have a community with Pygmy Corydoras, Celestial Pearl Danios, and maybe Rummy Nose Tetras? May get a few shrimp in the future too.

But my main concern is the Corydoras, I currently have a range of 2-4in of Fluval Stratum throughout the tank. Its cycling now and should be ready for fish soon. Does anyone have experience with Stratum and Cory’s? Should I cap with a couple inches of sand? I’ve seen people say it’s fine and have also seen people say they won’t like it or they’ll uproot all the plants. Any info helps thanks!

I have that substrate with sand just in the front.  It is fun to watch them suck in the sand and fling it out their gills.  My corys only uproot the plants in the sand.  They leave the ones in the substrate alone. But they still scour they bottom of the entire tank just fine.  I hope that helps.  

• Thanks 1

Corys sometimes have a hard time in new tanks. Stratum does leech ammonia for awhile so you may want to let it season for 5-6 months with stratum. Stratum is also very light so until it settles in may get moved about by Cory making it difficult to keep plants rooted until it fully settles in. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:07 AM, Guppysnail said:

Corys sometimes have a hard time in new tanks. Stratum does leech ammonia for awhile so you may want to let it season for 5-6 months with stratum. Stratum is also very light so until it settles in may get moved about by Cory making it difficult to keep plants rooted until it fully settles in. 

That’s interesting after 2 weeks I’m getting no ammonia (except for what I add to keep up with feeding beneficial bacteria). From what I’ve read people don’t get ammonia spikes until the substrate starts breaking down after a couple years/the end of its life cycle. I’ll have to look into that further

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, Freshwater_Lloyd said:

That’s interesting after 2 weeks I’m getting no ammonia (except for what I add to keep up with feeding beneficial bacteria). From what I’ve read people don’t get ammonia spikes until the substrate starts breaking down after a couple years/the end of its life cycle. I’ll have to look into that further

Mine did for about a month or two. I didn’t like it so I took it out before I added fish. So do not take just my word for it. 

• Thanks 1