Flourish Excel

Have any of you heard of or experienced Flourish Excel stalling the cycling process in a new aquarium? 

I have a new 20 long planted aquarium with minimal fish (2 corys, 1 female betta) and 7 plants that’s 5 weeks old. The cycle appears to have stalled with nitrites for about the last 3 weeks. I was told that the problem could be the Flourish Excel killing some of the beneficial bacteria and stalling the cycle. My plants are doing amazing and the fish are health, but I’m doing daily water changes to keep the nitrite levels down; 25% daily.  Any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi @GBrymer

It is highly unlikely the Excel (which only contains about 1.5% glutaradehyde) is effecting your nitrogen cycle.  However you are over-dosing the Excel.  The initial dose after a water change is 5 ml per 10 gallons.  The daily dose (or every other day) is 5 ml per 50 gallons, so less than 1/2 capful.

Have you been cleaning your filter media and losing beneficial bacteria?  Also, doing gravel vacs can cause issues with the nitrogen cycle.  Lastly, check your tap water.  If you read nitrites in your tap water chances are the test kit / test strip is not accurate.  -Roy

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist