Can I add more fish?

macdaddy36

In my 20 gallon high planted aquarium I have 3 kuhli loaches. I am wondering if I can get some more without overstocking my tank so that they might come out more.

Current tank stats:

5 Harlequin Rasboras

3 Rasboras that were sold as Harlequins but look more like espei. 

2 Honey Gourami

3 Guppies

3 Kuhli Loaches

Various snails.

Plants: Vallisneria, Anubias, Crypt, Amazon Sword, Tiger Lotus.

Filtration Aquaclear 30 and sponge filter 10-20 gallons.

If I were to get more I would get like 2 or 3, but I think my tank is kind of overstocked.

I think you’ll be ok. They don’t take up much swimming room and their bioload is small. If you’re comfortable with your current water quality I think 2-3 Kuhlis won’t change things dramatically. It won’t be a tank that you can skip a lot of water changes, but I wouldn’t consider it overstocked.  

• Like 1

I more or less agree with @Patrick_G. Especially if it is heavily planted and/or well established biologically, three more kuhlis will not have a negative impact. I could see it being visually crowded, maybe, though. But if everybody is fat and happy and not chasing anyone else, it should be a good tank!

On 7/26/2022 at 9:27 PM, Pepere said:

Might I suggest adding some floating plants of some sort?  As they are emersed from the water they have access to abundant airborne co2 and in essence co2 is not a limiting factor in their growth.

Floating plants do an amazing job of soaking up nitrates, as well as ammonia and nitrates reducing the need for water changes.

and fish seem thrilled to be able to play among the floating plants roots, getting shade, finding food  hiding etc.

you would of course need to thin it out as it grows to avoid having the surface completely covered.

I actually forgot to mention I have dwarf water lettuce but it is not growing very well so I am considering adding something else.

• Like 1

I know it's not a dwarf water lettuce thread, but I was struggling with mine until I got a new light. I went from something generic/budget to a Finnex Stingray 2 and the DWL loved it.

Also surface flow needs to be minimal.

But also, the stocking sounds okay to me as well. I regularly have well over the recommended "1 inch of fish per gallon", but I'm still a novice and probably have just had good luck. But also lots and lots of plants.