Glass lid for aquarium

BF McUmber

Is there any specific type of glass that we want, or want to avoid when choosing a custom glass lid for my aquariums? 

I absolutely love my 40 breeder Aqueon glass lid it seals great and looks great. My 10 gallon tank I cant say the same. On all my tanks both the Aqueon and Top fin lids are a good half inch short of the width of the aquarium. It is a minor annoyance sure but still feels dumb. I am intending to get a new piece of glass that gets rid of the trim piece and make it the "correct " width. I'll chamfer the corner to allow my heater and air lines to get in.  

At work it is a different story, I really want to switch it up. I want to move my HOB to the end of the tank and grow some pothos out of it. If I'm successful I would like it to stretch it around my cube. To do this I would need my lid to open hamburger style, not hot dog. So for this I assume I'll need to get some new custom glass. I'm assuming I just need uncoated non tempered glass, but is there any other things to avoid? 

I also have a free 10 gallon tank that I'm contemplating destroying and cutting lids myself, but am not sure if it is worth the hassle. I have yet to water test it to even see if it is good. 

Thanks, 
Brad

I had made this thread and had pretty much the same thoughts and issues that you''re having.

There's some useful stuff in that thread.  Long story short, I am in the same boat and I have to buy the pieces for the lid myself, the glass myself, put it together myself.  If you have a local glass shop, that's a great way to handle it and those lids would last a LOT longer than something from the hardware store that is easily available.  I have cut my own lids, it's a nice way to handle it.  I also like the ability to chamfer the corners, to not use the trim piece.  The only real issue is having and getting the hinge functionality to work well enough as the manufactured varieties.  Lexan is also a really good secondary option and a lot easier to work with (more forgiving) compared to something else. You can get lexan the appropriate thickness, buy the hinge, off you go.

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 thank you for the reply, I previously read that thread and the others that came up when I did the search. They did not really go towards the main issue I was looking for an answer to, so I did not try to resurrect them. 
Luckily I have a custom glass cutting shop near me and a custom window shop. that way I will be able to got to to get pieces of similar thickness to the Aqueon lids that I have and be able to reuse the hinges. I am going to stay with glass because I have hard water and being able scrape it is nice. 
I already have a glass cutter, so if I demo the 10 gallon I can "easily" make them. However, when time costs come in to play it may be easier to just get new glass cut to size. I just don't know if any of the coatings they put on glass are detrimental to the fish. 

On 7/18/2022 at 6:06 PM, BF McUmber said:

I already have a glass cutter, so if I demo the 10 gallon I can "easily" make them.

This is exactly how I did it.  Just be careful with the lengths you use, hinge placement, and making sure the lid is heavy enough and balanced when you lift it so that:
1.  The lid stays in place and doesn't slide on the rim of the tank (typically 2/3 for lid, 1/3 for the hinge opening seems to work well)
2.  The hinge itself is the right "strength" for the glass you're using.  they make them out of different materials and different strength and information for that isn't easy to find.  On my 10G versatop lid I had pretty severe issues with the glass being so light that the hinge just slams back every time if I don't physically place something on top of it to hold it in place.

• Like 1

Glass is super cheap at most hardware stores, and some will cut it for you free of charge, and cutting glass yourself is surprisingly easy. So I probably wouldn't sacrifice the 10g.

I had similar dissatisfaction with my Aqueon lid, and made my own. Found I actually prefer not using a hinge, as it's easier to just pull off the front piece for feeding or minor maintenance.

For the hob on the end of the tank, that gets a bit more tricky if you want to keep it all glass. Might be best to re-use the plastic piece from one of the other lids. But cutting the main pieces is simple, and you can glue on a handle with silicone.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:17 PM, kahjtheundedicated said:

For the hob on the end of the tank, that gets a bit more tricky if you want to keep it all glass. Might be best to re-use the plastic piece from one of the other lids. But cutting the main pieces is simple, and you can glue on a handle with silicone.

For the work tank I definitely know it wont be all glass, but I have 3 tanks with trim on them that I can use. So as long as I keep a similar thickness I can reuse them.  

On 7/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, Vince C said:

Anyone know where you can buy the hinge like what is on a normal prefab lid?

I know they are on amazon, but are relatively expensive. 

On 7/18/2022 at 10:18 PM, BF McUmber said:

I know they are on amazon, but are relatively expensive. 

Thanks! That is all that I have found so far as well - seems almost the price of buying a prefab lid (depending on the size of course).

Edited by Vince C

On 7/18/2022 at 7:09 PM, Vince C said:

Anyone know where you can buy the hinge like what is on a normal prefab lid?

amazon, local fish stores sometimes can order them.  Spare parts websites as well.  If you find the part number for the actual piece itself, you'll be able to look up details and likely find a part number based on the part itself instead of trying to find something general like "aquarium hinge lid" and hoping it's the correct dimensions for what you need.

example: https://www.amazon.com/Perfecto-Manufacturing-APFBAG028-Marineland-Lighting/dp/B007R54FT8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EX476LISS4Y6&keywords=marineland+aquarium+hinge&qid=1658203500&sprefix=marineland+aquarium+hing%2Caps%2C236&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Hinge-Acrylic-Polycarbonate-BenchPro/dp/B093K65XHL/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_pd_sbs_rvi_sccl_2_2/144-6751216-5829703?pd_rd_w=m3rMk&content-id=amzn1.sym.afb460dc-fa69-4440-8ffa-68f8a04f70ba&pf_rd_p=afb460dc-fa69-4440-8ffa-68f8a04f70ba&pf_rd_r=HHEBRF4W0K8JGHGSH6T5&pd_rd_wg=Oy3mv&pd_rd_r=603b0f8c-5351-4171-a1c9-089f60486aae&pd_rd_i=B093K65XHL&psc=1

My 10 gallon Aqueon versa top lid is short also, but I think maybe I cut a little too much of the vinyl off.  Lifewithpetsgci.com sells clear tank lids though. I may take some of the plastic things off of report covers and slide them onto the vinyl to extend the size.

image.png.0c38c19babe2c2939af820998aa32a86.png

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

I want to get rid of the back plastic piece in its entirety.  I could add a spacer but don't think I will. I'm ok will buying the glass.  I don't know if the type of glass that i use for the lid will affect the heath of the fish over time though. 

On 7/19/2022 at 12:05 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I appreciate it - the spare parts website is a good idea! Amazon definitely seems to have them, but priced closer to replacing the whole lid it seems. Thanks again!

On 7/20/2022 at 6:44 PM, Vince C said:

I appreciate it - the spare parts website is a good idea! Amazon definitely seems to have them, but priced closer to replacing the whole lid it seems. Thanks again!

Yep.  Once you find the actual part number used by marineland, aqueon, or tetra, etc. you'll have a much easier time.  I have the marineland rear trim and it lists all the sizes and glass needed. Depending on the tank you have, it'll be a different glass thickness and it would be a different cut on the trim itself. (they start with the same piece, 2-3 variations, then trim parts off depending on what tank it goes on)

On 7/20/2022 at 10:18 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yep.  Once you find the actual part number used by marineland, aqueon, or tetra, etc. you'll have a much easier time.  I have the marineland rear trim and it lists all the sizes and glass needed. Depending on the tank you have, it'll be a different glass thickness and it would be a different cut on the trim itself. (they start with the same piece, 2-3 variations, then trim parts off depending on what tank it goes on)

I bought a tetra tank once from Petsmart - and never found a lid that fit it.... even their own branded ones they sell. I ended up having to make one. Will never buy one of those tanks again - Live and learn

• Confused 1

On 7/20/2022 at 7:20 PM, Vince C said:

I bought a tetra tank once from Petsmart - and never found a lid that fit it.... even their own branded ones they sell. I ended up having to make one. Will never buy one of those tanks again - Live and learn

I have the same issue.  It's real dumb.

• Confused 1

I have to assume they make the lids to fit all other branded tanks which may have smaller rims, and maybe even their older models. It sucks but in reality if a lid can reasonably fit 2 tanks instead of 1 it is probably a better investment. 

On 7/20/2022 at 10:18 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

What the best way to cut the trim?  I use sheet metal shears, but they don't do that great a job.  It gets it done, but it ends up real raggedy looking.

On 7/21/2022 at 6:20 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

What the best way to cut the trim?  I use sheet metal shears, but they don't do that great a job.  It gets it done, but it ends up real raggedy looking.

I have a hand saw "finishing saw" is what it's technically called.  The easiest way is a ban saw.  I use a straight up terrible pair of scissors and it's more about technique than anything specific.  There's a channel on one end (U shaped) and then on the other end you have a longer piece that is only one layer thick.  I mark off the cuts, trim the thinner section up to the U portion.  At this point you can bring in something stronger, side cutters might work best here if you have the right teeth on them.  I take my cheapo scissors and slowly grind the plastic against the edge back and forth.  Once I get about halfway through I just muscle it.  Once you get it cut, you can use the scissors and take off the fine edges.  If you want to remove sharp edges you can rub it on a rock, concrete, or use sandpaper to smooth it out.

I've also seen people use this same technique but use an exacto blade or use a razor blade.

On 7/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have a hand saw "finishing saw" is what it's technically called.  The easiest way is a ban saw.  I use a straight up terrible pair of scissors and it's more about technique than anything specific.  There's a channel on one end (U shaped) and then on the other end you have a longer piece that is only one layer thick.  I mark off the cuts, trim the thinner section up to the U portion.  At this point you can bring in something stronger, side cutters might work best here if you have the right teeth on them.  I take my cheapo scissors and slowly grind the plastic against the edge back and forth.  Once I get about halfway through I just muscle it.  Once you get it cut, you can use the scissors and take off the fine edges.  If you want to remove sharp edges you can rub it on a rock, concrete, or use sandpaper to smooth it out.

I've also seen people use this same technique but use an exacto blade or use a razor blade.

So in other words, it's a pain in the butt.

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2022 at 12:40 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

So in other words, it's a pain in the butt.

Haha... No..... It definitely can be.  I just take my time.  Even a saws all would work, a dremel, hand saw, cleaver, etc.  I can't cut it and record it to show you, but I promise it's easy.  I just try to go through one layer at a time.  Same way you tear a phonebook in half.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...