ID Please

Looks to be some sort of isoetes. They're a unique genus and can be tough to propagate (depending on the species). Here's a report from my club's horticulture awards program:

Gallons: 22 Long
Temperature: 75
pH: 6.3
Hardness: 1 KH 3 GH
SubstrateType: ADA Amazonia II
SubstrateDepth: 1-2 Inches
CO2Type: Pressurized w/inline diffuser
Filtration: Oase Biomaster Thermo Canister
SunlightHours: 4
SunlightDirect: Direct
LightingType: LED
Watts: 75 Watts LED (not on 100% though)
ColorTemp: Chihiros WRGB
FertType: Dry fertilizers
FertBrand: generic
FertDosage: 14 ppm NO3, 6.5 ppm PO4, 32 ppm K, .3 ppm Fe, 2.6 ppm Mg
OtherInfo
Isoetes japonica is a quillwort, and they reproduce unlike any other aquarium plants I know of. They do not do well with vegetative propagation (division). To propagate, I took a microphyll that was dying back off the outside of the plant. I then plucked another microphyll from the inside of the plant. As heterosporous plants, fertile Isoetes sporophytes produce megaspores and microspores, which develop in the megasporangia and microsporangia. The megaspores are located in the outer microphylls and the microspores are located in the inner microphylls, so it's important to take them from the two different locations. In good condition, the microspores and megaspores will form microgametophytes and megagametophytes, which then make sperm and egg, respectively. The megagametophytes are actually visible if you crush the base of a microphyll between your fingers. All I did was crush the bulbous bases of the two microphylls between my fingers to introduce sperm to egg, then scrape my fingers off in the aquarium substrate. A couple months later, a young isoetes plant popped up! In the picture, the young isoetes is located behind the bucephalandra.

• Like 1