Surprise Babies!!

Dawn

WOW!!  I just recently started up a brand new 29 gallon (July 15).  I Inserted a sponge filter from one tank and hornwart from another tank.   In the tank that I pulled the hornwart from, I have Turquoise Rainbows, 2 different types of Danios, and Otocinclus.  I know for sure I have male and female rainbows.  With the Danios, there are 11 so pretty sure I'd have both sexes there too.

Some of the babies have a blueish hue to them.  They are so tiny, I only noticed them because of the light reflection.  I thought they were air bubbles. I have no idea what they are.

I'd love for them to survive, but what is the chance they will?  🤨I received my HOB filter today and I was going to get that up and running.  But the prefilter I ordered from Aquarium co-op won't be here til early next week.  So I'm thinking I should wait until I have the pre filter.  Thoughts?

Who else has had surprise babies?

I would wait for the prefilter if they newly hatched. 

I have a 55 gal hexagon tank I took out of my shed to house the 8 single tail comets that appeared a week after I added a water lily I bought. I assume they had breeding goldfish in the same water as the plants. I don't actually keep goldfish on purpose, but there they are none the less. Seems out of place in my house, but whatcha gonna do?

Congrats! Could use other foam or sponge to build a temp prefilter? I have used a very very fine mesh filter media bag  too, in a pinch. Clogged relatively quickly, but kept the fry safe.

Food is the other issue...Sera Micron is really fine grained...frozen copepods, frozen baby brine if the fry are big enough

Good luck, keep us updated

Aquarium Co-op ships so quickly, just wait the few days for the pre-filter! Otherwise the fry will almost certainly be killed by the filter. You could also hold off on the HOB filter until the babies grow bigger. That sponge filter is sufficient for the fry. Keep an eye on your parameters. I am thinking that between the seeded filter, hornwort, and small bioload of the fry you should be fine. Congratulations and best wishes! 

Have fun!  I don't know if you are seeing Danios or Rainbows, but Danios scatter their eggs.  They surprised me in my first 29 gallon tank years ago.  They were hiding in the gravel (I use UG filters) and I found them during a water change.  I guess someone could add that to either column of the Pro / Con list for undergravel filters.   

Based on a cursory google, it looks like the Rainbows are mop spawners, so it makes sense that they'd ride in on your hornwort.  

Pictures when they're big enough!

19 hours ago, ForestJenn said:

Pictures when they're big enough!

I tried to get pics today as I would like to start a journal.  But I just don't have the right type of camera to focus on them.  I do like that suggestion.  Thanks!!