Shrimpee Xtreme Food - Ingredients confusion

nabokovfan87

Hey Everyone,

I mentioned in another thread about how I had emailed xtreme regarding their food and "fish meal", shark byproducts, etc.

I don't have a reply from them or know if this is anything they've looked into.  I was on the website trying to research and compare foods and I came across this.  I am pretty confused by the wording and was wondering if someone else has any clarification on what this means.

Shrimpee™

INGREDIENTSGrain Products, Animal Protein Products of Marine Origins, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Soy Lecithin, Limestone Ground, Fish Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Propionate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, dl-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Supplement),  Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin-5 Phosphate, Niacin d-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Ethoxyquin

Guaranteed Analysis:

• Crude Protein (Min.) 35%
  • Crude Fat (Min.)  4% 
  • Crude Fiber (Max.) 5%
  • Phosphorus (Min.)  1%/li>
  •  Moisture (Max.)  12%
  • Ash (Max.)    12%

NANO™

Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Squid Meal, Wheat Flour, Fish Protein Concentrate, Wheat Gluten, Grain Distillers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Monocalcium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Wheat Germ Meal, Guar Gum (mucilage), Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Supplement), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Astaxanthin.

Guaranteed Analysis:

• Crude Protein (Min.) 52%
  • Crude Fat (Min.)  11% 
  • Crude Fiber (Max.) 2%
  • Phosphorus (Min.)  1.4%/li>
  •  Moisture (Max.)  12%
  • Ash (Max.)    11%

Nano is what I usually see on their labels, these types of ingredients with a few variations here or there.  "Animal Protein Products of Marine Origins" caught me off guard.  Is this a mix of krill + squid + fish meal?  Then you have something like "Fish Protein Concentrate" and as a hobbyist we all read that positively because we see protein in the wording. 

Is there anyone who has experience in this type of a field or knows what exactly these differences are? 

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

I am not an expert, but in terms of phraseology I can see the concern: given the use of "fish" and other more specific words for squid, krill, etc, I would assume "animal protein of marine origin" to mean "non-fish animal of marine origin." 

But, looking into it, I assume the difference in phrasing is a specific product patent issue, and that ingredient has been labeled and patented as such specifically. In which case it would be a shorthand for a particular combination of ingredients.

Here is a patent for "Hydrolysates of animal proteins of marine origin" that may not be the exact same thing,  but here's its breakdown:

"These hydrolysates are prepared from a protein source selected from mackerel, salmon, green crab and white fish, and at least 70% (preferentially at least 80%) of the total weight of peptides of these hydrolysates correspond to peptides having a molecular weight of less than 1000 Da."

Whether shark or other questionable ingredients are included in the food you're looking at, I couldn't say. A company not emailing back, though, is not comforting.

On 7/14/2022 at 5:11 AM, Darth Mollusk said:

Whether shark or other questionable ingredients are included in the food you're looking at, I couldn't say. A company not emailing back, though, is not comforting.

I think it's a pretty big question. I would expect it to take some time to answer.  Honestly.  I totally understand though and I think, based on information I'm finding out recently, it's a problem without a verifiable solution.

On 7/14/2022 at 5:11 AM, Darth Mollusk said:

Here is a patent for "Hydrolysates of animal proteins of marine origin" that may not be the exact same thing,  but here's its breakdown:

"These hydrolysates are prepared from a protein source selected from mackerel, salmon, green crab and white fish, and at least 70% (preferentially at least 80%) of the total weight of peptides of these hydrolysates correspond to peptides having a molecular weight of less than 1000 Da."

Definitely not comforting when I see the words "white fish" now, as well as a few others.

I really appreciate the time finding that. My initial assumption was that the ingredients in shrimpee might be something where it's a mix of all the leftovers of all the foods used to make their normal foods. Definitely an interesting topic to try to understand the full scope of!