125 g tanks

Well I am moving next month and with that comes a daylight basement and a very nice long wall where a 6 foot 125 g tank can go. Would love to see your 125s and get a sense of what you’re stocking, filtering and doing with the footprint. I’ve not made any decisions but I’ve been stockpiling rocks and wood for this so I’m very excited.

• Like 4

What are you leaning towards?

I think I’d want a sump and overflow along with a powerhead to create flow. A big canister would be my second choice. 
For a scape I’d probably go for a classic Amano nature aquarium style with lots of narrow leaf java fern, epiphytes, crypts etc. Spot lights like Kessil would be cool, but a couple of Fluval 3.0s won’t break the bank and would do the job. 

Here are some pictures of our 180G “Fire Eel Disco Party” tank that is run on a block sponge filter with (3) lift tubes, a couple of air stones and (2) Fluval 3.0s. We just remodeled it last weekish after we finally got rid of the devil shrimp so the plants are still adjusting.

We have 4” pvc mostly covered with BDS along the entire back wall with (2) Ts in the middle and a 90 on each end for the fire eel to hide in when it gets bigger. As far as inhabitants go there is (1) fire eel aka Howard, two different types of rainbow fish, couple of algae eaters and a handful or two of Synodontis petrocola when they grow out a little more.

The pictures aren’t all that good and I just stirred the tank up so there’s debris moving throughout the water column but it could give you some ideas.

30135AAD-13BE-42E8-BE91-9BA628A98130.jpeg

5E2AEB01-BA80-48BA-A20E-A796B470E46F.jpeg

5158AF76-CDAB-4BBF-B20B-B6B9BA456CDB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

@StruggleRainbows, it’s been too long since I’ve kept them and what a spectacular group of Milleniun reds and Boesmani! So to answer you @Patrick_GI’m leaning towards a couple groups of rainbows- a Melanotaenia, Chilatherina and Glosolepis group 5 each, a centerpiece oddball fish like a golden dojo loach, eel, or puffer, some Scleromystax and some Wabenmuster plecos. 
I can picture the Amanosanesque scape you’re describing @Patrick_G, I’m thinking a large center island with a big piece of wood and all the narrow leaf I can get my hands on with some fast growing stems behind it and some Buce mixes in with the Java fern.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, Struggle said:

Here are some pictures of our 180G “Fire Eel Disco Party” tank that is run on a block sponge filter with (3) lift tubes, a couple of air stones and (2) Fluval 3.0s. We just remodeled it last weekish after we finally got rid of the devil shrimp so the plants are still adjusting.

We have 4” pvc mostly covered with BDS along the entire back wall with (2) Ts in the middle and a 90 on each end for the fire eel to hide in when it gets bigger. As far as inhabitants go there is (1) fire eel aka Howard, two different types of rainbow fish, couple of algae eaters and a handful or two of Synodontis petrocola when they grow out a little more.

The pictures aren’t all that good and I just stirred the tank up so there’s debris moving throughout the water column but it could give you some ideas.

On 7/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, Struggle said:

Wow!!! Which kind are the yellow ones???