🌿Hey guys, I dose Easy Green in the 29 gallon at 3 pumps per week.  My nitrates never get above 5 and the java ferns are developing brown spots. One java fern turned totally black and then died, but during the time it was turning black it made a ton of babies, so I kept them.  (Thanks, java fern!)

Two questions - should I dose more Easy Green?  And what's the best way to keep the pump unclogged?  I tried pumping plain tap water through it, but it didn't seem to help and not much product is coming out when I pump it.  I'm afraid to pump extra into the tank; I worry I will add too much.

Thanks.

I would add more, probably to 15 or 20ppm. 5ppm is pretty low. For keeping it unclogged, can you get in the end with a toothpick and kind of scrape stuff out? Or soak the end in some warm water? I believe Cory has said it's mostly salts that collect there as the bit that stays after you pump evaporates. 

On 7/7/2022 at 9:52 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Two questions - should I dose more Easy Green?  And what's the best way to keep the pump unclogged?  I tried pumping plain tap water through it, but it didn't seem to help and not much product is coming out when I pump it.  I'm afraid to pump extra into the tank; I worry I will add too much.

you can get the ACO dosing glass and use that!  It's pretty cool and you can help verify you're dosing the right amount.  Spray it into the shot glass / dosing glass and then you'll have a measure for what is actually coming out of the pump.  Dose x mL and then you have a very good consistent routine.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2022 at 1:27 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

you can get the ACO dosing glass and use that! 

I have an irrigating syringe too that has measurements on the side in mL.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:16 PM, Katherine said:

For keeping it unclogged, can you get in the end with a toothpick and kind of scrape stuff out?

I tried to do that with a straight pin - went round in there in a circle a few times. Got some stuff out, but still it didn't want to pump out much product.  I think I may just skip the pump and do the measuring. 🙂 

• Like 2

On 7/7/2022 at 3:07 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Clean the pump head out really good with warm water. Something in there already hardened will trigger it to keep happening. Then if that doesn't work, switch to measuring.

Maybe I could soak it in vinegar. That decalcifies coffee pots & stuff. It would probably work on this too.  Plus the warm water as well.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:14 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Maybe I could soak it in vinegar. That decalcifies coffee pots & stuff. It would probably work on this too.  Plus the warm water as well.

I have to do it for coffee stuff. I just use my hand or a cup in the sink or something and run hot water through the pump.  No biggie.

It will dissolve the solids and then you can get clean water through the system.

• Like 1