Threadfin rainbowfish

Saw these guys at the LFS. They are so cool. I thought they were mating because the 2 of them would form a circle, like follow the leader, stop, and then flare. Beautiful and interesting. I asked the employee what they were and he said they are threadfin or threadfish? A type of rainbowfish. He said they are peaceful community fish. 

I asked if they were a mated pair. He told me they are two males, and what looked like a mating dance was just an “I’m better than you” flare, kind of like bettas do.

What do we know about these fish? Where do they come from and what are their needs? 

20B0C829-B48D-47B7-9C30-BDDC91B64FB9.jpeg

49A609AE-14C5-42B8-98AF-7A5B68F7361B.jpeg

66A79DCF-14E7-46CC-BB84-2088CB2C31BA.jpeg

Here’s some tid bits that I found ~ 

Maintenance

Best kept in a densely-planted tank and an excellent choice for the carefully-aquascaped set-up. The addition of some floating plants and driftwood roots or branches to diffuse the light entering the tank also seems to be appreciated and adds a more natural feel. If you wish to raise fry alongside the adults the addition of a fine-leaved aquatic moss such as a Taxiphylumsp. is advisable (see ‘Reproduction’).

Filtration does not need to be particularly strong as it mostly hails from sluggish waters and may struggle if there is a fast current. Do not add this fish to a biologically immature aquarium as it can be susceptible to swings in water chemistry.

Water Conditions

Temperature22 – 30 °C

pH5.0 – 8.0

Hardness18 – 215 ppm

Also they say not suited for a community aquarium because they are outcompeted for food😕

• Like 1

I have these fish.
When I purchased them I was advised to have a 2 females to every one male. Currently, I have 5 females and two males. They are not readily available in my area, only one LFS carries them intermittingly.  

They get along very well with other fish and at times swim with the Harlequin Rasboras.

Since they have small mouths, I crush the pellets into smaller bite size for them. ( I think I spoil them).

My tank has moderate cover and they stay in the open water most often.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2022 at 5:46 PM, Hoi Polloi said:

I have these fish.
When I purchased them I was advised to have a 2 females to every one male. Currently, I have 5 females and two males. They are not readily available in my area, only one LFS carries them intermittingly.  

They get along very well with other fish and at times swim with the Harlequin Rasboras.

Since they have small mouths, I crush the pellets into smaller bite size for them. ( I think I spoil them).

My tank has moderate cover and they stay in the open water most often.

@Hoi Polloi do these fish enjoy  some moderate flow like other rainbow fish? 

On 4/21/2024 at 2:55 AM, Jaspyjasp said:

@Hoi Polloi do these fish enjoy  some moderate flow like other rainbow fish? 

You may not get an answer from @Hoi Polloi since they haven’t been on the forum in almost a year.  I haven’t kept threadfins in well over a decade but they seemed content in what I would consider moderate flow when I had them. 

• Like 2