How many tanks are too much???

Keeping up on the maintenance isn't the issue, it is how long does it take you to do the maintenance is the problem. If it takes 2 or 3 hours just to clean the tanks and do a water change then that may be too long. With the 14 tanks I have going right now and I do not have an automatic water change system, I still do the 5 gallon bucket to get rid of the water because my hatchery is in my spare bedroom (photo's in this post) it only takes 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to clean the bottoms and do a water change. All the tanks have a box filters that I clean every 2 weeks and those only take me about 1 hour so mine is at the size that I like right now.

• Like 1

For me personally 7 tanks is where I have found a good balance. I do maintenance on 1 a day spending anywhere from 15-60 minutes depending on what needs doing. Have had more in the past but found it started to feel more like a chore than a hobby. 

• Like 2

I can’t believe I’ve been in for almost a year now.

I was going to put together a pea puffer tank, which was sidelined it because I got involved in building cigar box guitars. I’ve been a player for 45+ years and liked wood-shop back in high school. An old college friend came up with the idea. We pitched in a few hundred each and set up a small workshop in his basement. We’ve been pretty good about not buying too much stuff…it’s always the stuff, isn’t it…

Anyway—

My max would be three. Getting my tank to where it is now took 9 months. It’s different with each of us; I don’t feel a sense of urgency about more tanks.

image.jpeg.017b26cbf9f1187c1c927a27e266b9bf.jpeg

image.jpeg.c74daa2bc2272ff46c9cf1276a40900c.jpeg

image.jpeg.f0f7321c8fc41a2a7c38f9fa997777a2.jpeg

I still want pea puffers but I also like bettas and, so…small apartment…

My aquarium is fun. I like watching ‘em when I’m here alone in the evenings before work. One 55 is a nice big tank, but not too big. The time investment is small. I’d still like to do another tank but I’m taking my time to choose. My small apartment isn’t overrun with fish stuff…always stuff…

• Like 3

I've had mostly nano tanks with JUST a betta and maybe a snail or two each, and for me as a student with a couple jobs... if it gets above about 10 tanks it starts to be overwhelming. But I also find the smaller tanks are harder to maintain, so it may fluctuate as I get larger tanks. I'll be setting up a 20 long (my first tank above 10 gallons!) in August, so we'll see how that goes. Right now I have 6 tanks set up (three 10s, two 5s, and a bitty 1 gallon for a disabled betta) and that's way too few for me. 

Also, your rack system is AWESOME! I hope to one day have something as cool as that for my tanks.

You might be brave. I think lots of small tanks are much harder to maintain than big ones. I have not had anything bigger than 300g. I do so much less maintenance on big tanks. Less water changes less everything. Now when you do do the maintenance then that day is hard. 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:32 PM, Brandon p said:

You might be brave. I think lots of small tanks are much harder to maintain than big ones. I have not had anything bigger than 300g. I do so much less maintenance on big tanks. Less water changes less everything. Now when you do do the maintenance then that day is hard. 

I’d agree. It’s much more time consuming to water change my nano tanks/hospital tanks than it is the 10 or 55. I can actually get my arm in, wipe down walls, gravel vac, etc. I can service the 55 in 15-20 minutes. Nanos take like 30-45 minutes as they are much more delicate. 

• Like 1