Scuds in a 5 gallon bucket

Leo2o915

On 6/25/2022 at 2:42 PM, Leo2o915 said:

What else besides sunlight and green water you need for them to thrive and breed ? 

Scuds don't even need sunlight. They are omnivores, so they'll need meaty foods occasionally. Consider them the scavengers of your tanks.

I find they seem to stay a little healthier if you keep snails with them, to let you know if you are feeding enough. I keep at least 2 dedicated containers (a 5 gallon and a 2 gallon), some plants (if you underffed they will eat your plants), and a solid calcium source (crushed coral, cuttlebone, or oystershells).

Make sure your water doesn't go acidic, the colony will crash.

The babies eat biofilm, Repashy, and the liquid beneficial bacteria we can buy.

On 6/25/2022 at 5:06 PM, Torrey said:

Scuds don't even need sunlight. They are omnivores, so they'll need meaty foods occasionally. Consider them the scavengers of your tanks.

I find they seem to stay a little healthier if you keep snails with them, to let you know if you are feeding enough. I keep at least 2 dedicated containers (a 5 gallon and a 2 gallon), some plants (if you underffed they will eat your plants), and a solid calcium source (crushed coral, cuttlebone, or oystershells).

Make sure your water doesn't go acidic, the colony will crash.

The babies eat biofilm, Repashy, and the liquid beneficial bacteria we can buy.

So throw some catfish wafers ? Or add repashy powder lol I added plants and also it has green water 

On 6/25/2022 at 8:06 PM, Leo2o915 said:

So throw some catfish wafers ? Or add repashy powder lol I added plants and also it has green water 

I just give mine leftovers from other tanks, or if I miraculously don't finish a container of fish food in under a month, it gets labeled "scud food". I throw in veggies, dropped leaves, a baby carrot or two, and on Sundays and Wednesdays they get pellets, flakes, brine shrimp, or whatever else I feed the rest of the tanks (or their own leftovers, if they have a dedicated container).

Monitor water quality, ammonia and nitrites, or dropping pH due to decomposition in the tank will kill them.

30163139_20220528_222653(1).jpg.bcec6e3aebd9a1f6f5a06d4ddf98132f.jpg

Snails and scuds, in a 2 gallon jar. UGF, and lots of plants.