Scarlet temple

My guess for lower leaf trobles is usually needing more light or more nitrogen, maybe both. Even in my own tank I can't determine which one is the culprit. 

Edit, could also be an iron issue since when reading again you didn't mention leaf loss

On 6/25/2022 at 2:36 PM, JoeQ said:

My guess for lower leaf trobles is usually needing more light or more nitrogen, maybe both. Even in my own tank I can't determine which one is the culprit. 

Edit, could also be an iron issue since when reading again you didn't mention leaf loss

That’s possible. I have red ludwigia and it’s doing great. No issues with color. You may be right about lighting. I just tested and my tank is just under 40ppm Nitrates. I’m hesitant about upping the lighting because I have staghorn algae I was just able to start killing off with excel

If your nitrates are 40ppm I would rule out the nitrates, figure on it being a lighting/iron issue. @Mmiller2001 would probably be your best source there. Hopefully he'll chime in, as for your staghorn issue, try to improve flow. This alone might solve your issues by distributing your liquid nutrients through out your aquarium. 

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 2:53 PM, JoeQ said:

If your nitrates are 40ppm I would rule out the nitrates, figure on it being a lighting/iron issue. @Mmiller2001 would probably be your best source there. Hopefully he'll chime in, as for your staghorn issue, try to improve flow. This alone might solve your issues by distributing your liquid nutrients through out your aquarium. 

I have 2 medium sponge filters with air stones running in them. The right side pump isn’t working but a new pump should be coming in the mail soon. Hopefully that will help

I agree it's light. I would increase water changes but keep the same dosing. This will allow for lower ppm while maintaining your current dosing. Although these plants are advertised as easy, they typically do as you see. CO2 injection changes AR to what you usually see advertised.

FYI, I've found that cutting back AR and not replanting is a good practice.

Do you have a higher fish load? 

Larger more frequent water changes is how I tackle most algae these days. Once you get ahead on water changes, most algae struggle.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:08 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I agree it's light. I would increase water changes but keep the same dosing. This will allow for lower ppm while maintaining your current dosing. Although these plants are advertised as easy, they typically do as you see. CO2 injection changes AR to what you usually see advertised.

FYI, I've found that cutting back AR and not replanting is a good practice.

Do you have a higher fish load? 

Larger more frequent water changes is how I tackle most algae these days. Once you get ahead on water changes, most algae struggle.

I only have amano shrimp at the moment. I’m probably going to get some guppies soon so the fish load will get larger. Can you remind me what AR is?