How do you quartine an 8 figure puffer and transition a puffer from fresh to brakish water.

MichaelL710

Hello I have a 32.5 gallon flex tank and i'am doing research on getting an 8 figure puffer fish. The tank has been set up with freshwater for about two months and has been established. However, I'am slowly converting  to brakish water as we speak. There is 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, and an ph of 8.0 throught 8.5, and tempeture around 79 degrees. My question, what is the best method of quartine of a puffer fish and what is the best medication to treat the puffer for bacterial and parasites? I would also love to know experiences on how to transition a 8 figure from fresh water to brakish water. I also have an 5 gallon quartine tank already established for little over an month. Any advice would be very helpful plz and thank you.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 7:47 AM, MichaelL710 said:

Hello I have a 32.5 gallon flex tank and i'am doing research on getting an 8 figure puffer fish. The tank has been set up with freshwater for about two months and has been established. However, I'am slowly converting  to brakish water as we speak. There is 0 ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, and an ph of 8.0 throught 8.5, and tempeture around 79 degrees. My question, what is the best method of quartine of a puffer fish and what is the best medication to treat the puffer for bacterial and parasites? I would also love to know experiences on how to transition a 8 figure from fresh water to brakish water. I also have an 5 gallon quartine tank already established for little over an month. Any advice would be very helpful plz and thank you.

Sorry, I know this doesn’t fully answer your question but I have been wanting a figure 8 puffer, so I am just following to hear responses. I initially wanted a figure 8 because initial searches said they are good for freshwater only, but I have been reading conflicting information. Although a lot have said very hard water, or low end brackish. So hopefully some people here know more then I. 

• Like 1

Ya I have heard form of care guides on redits video care guides on YouTube that they like low end brakish water  and they live longer in brakish water to than in fresh water too. But they thing about the 8 figure puffer fish that has been really hard to find out is, how convert them from fresh water to brakish. Because I know most of 8 figure puffer are sold as fresh water puffers.

Figure 8s are euryhaline fish. This means they can tolerate freshwater for an extensive period of time, but their overall health will improve with salt in the water. Most people aim for 1.005-1.008 specific gravity. Although they can go all the way up to full marine and anywhere inbetween (that rhymes 🤓)

As for quarantine have a conversation with your LFS as to what their water parameters are for the fish and try to replicate that. Any move will be quite stressful. The med trio is usually recommended as it tackles the largest swathe and is good for even sensitive fish. I’d need to look at the packaging again to see where their effective ranges are. Some meds are pH and hardness sensitive and will be less effective at certain pH. You may have better luck with marine versions of these medications depending.

Depending on how many figure 8s you plan on getting a 5 gallon may be too small. I usually keep an eye out for beat up tanks on any offer up site and look for around the 20 gallon mark. As it’s easy to setup and store when you no longer need it.

As for converting them, it’s actually not to hard. Euryhaline fish are equipped with magnificent gill structures that can modify ion transport structures within hours. This helps in the wild with a constant flux in salinity. I’d recommend drip acclimation. You can buy drip IV’s at most marine stores.

Are you planning species only? Or have you picked out some companion fish?

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1

Yes i am only going to have one for my 32.5 gallon tank. I was planning on use the 5 gallon tank for quartine only and then moving the puffer into 32.5 gallon thank after being treated if that would be ok. Also dose the 8 figuer puffer need to be slowly transition from fresh water in an sperate tank (like the 5 gallon quartine tank) or could I drip acclimate him to an brakish tank after quartine. The specific gravity of the 32.5 gallon tank i have, would be 1.006 throught 1.008. Thank you for the advice agian I really appreciate it.