cheapest possible large tank

Lemon

On 10/20/2020 at 5:19 PM, quirkylemon103 said:

how to cheap to do you think you could set up a reasonable(safe, normal amount of fish for the size,) 400+ gallon tank?

Hard thing to really answer without designing something and costing out materials, unless you're looking for a cheap, large tank already available on the market. Also, used vs new is another consideration in terms of total costs.

Are you looking to acquire a tank and trying to see how much something like this runs, low-end? Or just asking the question as a sort of challenge to see what kinds of ideas people have about what they could come up with if given the task?

As others have suggested, there are more costs than just the tank, such as floor support, filtration, etc. 

So it's a hard question to answer without more specifics, unless, like I said above, it's a question meant as a fun-spirited challenge, and you're not looking for something specific for yourself.

I would imagine a plywood tank, material-wise, would be cheapest. There are many good examples of these online.

8 minutes ago, tolstoy21 said:

Hard thing to really answer without designing something and costing out materials, unless you're looking for a cheap, large tank already available on the market. Also, used vs new is another consideration in terms of total costs.

Are you looking to acquire a tank and trying to see how much something like this runs, low-end? Or just asking the question as a sort of challenge to see what kinds of ideas people have about what they could come up with if given the task?

As others have suggested, there are more costs than just the tank, such as floor support, filtration, etc. 

So it's a hard question to answer without more specifics, unless, like I said above, it's a question meant as a fun-spirited challenge, and you're not looking for something specific for yourself.

I would imagine a plywood tank, material-wise, would be cheapest. There are many good examples of these online.

yeah its just to see what fun ideas people come up with 

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Holy Smokes!

Turns out Pentair is headquartered in Cary, NC which is 20 miles down the road. I could go get one and just put in the back of the pick up truck and save shipping!

How do I unlearn this now 🙂

you don't just get one 😉

38 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

yeah its just to see what fun ideas people come up with 

Hmmmmm.... now I suddenly have this bug stuck in my mind to build a large aquarium in my basement. 400+ might be a bit too large for my space, but still, the fire has been lit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, tolstoy21 said:

Hmmmmm.... now I suddenly have this bug stuck in my mind to build a large aquarium in my basement. 400+ might be a bit too large for my space, but still, the fire has been lit!

have fun 😉

if you do start a build thread.

21 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

have fun 😉

if you do start a build thread.

I'll definitely start a build thread if and once I begin. But if I don't finish the kitchen renovation first, the rest of the family might get a tad cross.  😉  

I want to expand a rack I have, and maybe it might be interesting to build something large into that expansion, so something like space for a bunch 20 highs on top, and in the middle, a custom build large aquarium with sump space underneath. Not the most efficient use of space, but maybe something fun to try, especially considering I can't fit large aquariums easily down my basement stairs. 

Hmmmm.......

• Like 1