betta tankmates: Algae Eater

Theplatymaster

Nerite snails are amazing algae eaters, as are amano shrimp and they are bigger than neocardinas so they could stand a better chance of not getting eaten. There are plenty of fishkeepers out there that have positive experiences with them, but I have heard many times that as Siamese Algae Eaters get bigger and mature they can prey on other fish. If you have a big enough tank, you could also try a bristlenose pleco! Or, in a mature, algae-covered tank you could try a school of otocinculus. Lots of fun options! 🙂 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 1:00 PM, Hannah Parker said:

Nerite snails are amazing algae eaters, as are amano shrimp and they are bigger than neocardinas so they could stand a better chance of not getting eaten. There are plenty of fishkeepers out there that have positive experiences with them, but I have heard many times that as Siamese Algae Eaters get bigger and mature they can prey on other fish. If you have a big enough tank, you could also try a bristlenose pleco! Or, in a mature, algae-covered tank you could try a school of otocinculus. Lots of fun options! 🙂 

i agree, but im asking about Betta compatibility and i heard that most bettas dont with with snails and shrimp and siamese algae eaters might bully the bettas...

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 2:16 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i agree, but im asking about Betta compatibility and i heard that most bettas dont with with snails and shrimp and siamese algae eaters might bully the bettas...

Betta compatibility is sooo hard because of the variance in their personalities. Generally, snails are much more easily ignored than other things. I agree that a siamese algae eater could become a bully. Shrimp are considered food more often than not I think, but if you were going to try shrimp I would definitely opt for amanos because of their coloring/camouflage 🙂 

The concern with most snails is the Betta picking at them- so you are right on one end. On the other- Nerite snails don't have as much "foot" and body exposed for the Betta to be able to pick at it. Their antenae are so small that Bettas would rarely bother. Horned Nerites are even more well equipped to handle a Betta tankmate- the issue though is that Bettas should be in ideal temps of 80-82 for optimal health and Nerites do far better in temps 72-78. 

Personally, I would just add Bladder snails- they are pretty awesome tank cleaners- it's ok if the Betta eats a few small ones (free live food) and they can better live in the higher tank temps. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

I had two horned and one racing nerite in my Betta tank and the Betta never bothered any of them (he passed away and now the nerites all live in my shrimp tank), I also have a pretty big zebra nerite in my niece's Betta tank and is doing an amazing job with the algae