Moving horned nerites

Lauren A

Hi, 

I set up a new planted tank about a month ago.  I also ordered 5 horned nerite snails for this tank but 3 died during acclamation - it is 10 gallons 3\4 heavily planted.  The snails came early and the new tank was not ready.  It definitely is now.

In a different planted 10 gallon live 4 horned nerites, they've been in there for 1 year.  Very healthy and hard working!  Since the new tank was not ready for the 2 tiny young survivors, I let them live in the mature tank with the other 4.  They've done great but could use more algae since this tank is now spotless.  I do have a bunch of banana leaves in there with biofilm they all munch on.  

Since moving day has arrived in the new tank, I'm thinking it may be better to move the older snails over so it's less stress for the weak newbies, but I'm not sure on this?  I'm also not sure if its appropriate to move any of them from tank to tank?  Parameters between tanks are pretty much the same.  I'm curious on any thoughts or advice.  I want them to have ample food (new tank has plenty of algae and biofilm.

To sum up, should I move a few oldies or the newbies and is this going to cause too much stress on any of them.  I really love these lil guys and gals and would feel terrible if anything bad happened.  Losing the 3 during acclamation waa sad enough. 

Thank you in advance!!!

Edit: if anyone could let me know the best method to move them let me know please.  I waa going to float them on an IAL near the glass so they can control when that want to go in.

Edited by Lauren A

In my experience younger snails make transitions easier. If the parameters are relatively close I pick them up and set them in the new tank close to or on top of some algae where I can still see and monitor them.  Your first ones endured shipping coupled with new water parameters and possibly not enough to eat in the sellers  tank.  Now they are “fat, happy and healthy” so should transition with ease. My nerite did not miss a munching beat going through 4 tanks. He also inevitably is attached to and hiding on whatever hard scape I’m working on so often takes vacations into the bucket I’m working in all without missing a beat. Best of luck. I hope this eases your mind. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 2:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

In my experience younger snails make transitions easier. If the parameters are relatively close I pick them up and set them in the new tank close to or on top of some algae where I can still see and monitor them.  Your first ones endured shipping coupled with new water parameters and possibly not enough to eat in the sellers  tank.  Now they are “fat, happy and healthy” so should transition with ease. My nerite did not miss a munching beat going through 4 tanks. He also inevitably is attached to and hiding on whatever hard scape I’m working on so often takes vacations into the bucket I’m working in all without missing a beat. Best of luck. I hope this eases your mind. 

Hi @Guppysnail!  Excellent!  They will definitely appreciate abundant food supply.   They were starving when I got them and there was no poop in the bag they were shipped in, so they definitely did not eat.  Thank you so much - it's been bugging me for a couple weeks on how to do this.  I feel so much better!  Have a great day and thank you again.  🙏

• Like 1

In my experience, nerites are amazingly hardy when it comes to being moved around. I know lots of people who move their nerites around from tank to tank depending on which one has the most algae. Kinda like moving their cleaners around. I don't think it would be an issue. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 3:39 PM, Cinnebuns said:

In my experience, nerites are amazingly hardy when it comes to being moved around. I know lots of people who move their nerites around from tank to tank depending on which one has the most algae. Kinda like moving their cleaners around. I don't think it would be an issue. 

Thank you so much.  They are moving over in the morning so I can keep a good eye on them through the day.  The tank needs a good cleanup and these little monsters don't stop eating, as you know.  'm pretty excited!  Looking forward to finally adding some critters to the tank too!  Have a great night and I appreciate your help.  Take care.

• Love 1