Discuss not eating

Krish

I have got a small discuss just one from my local pet shop , but its been one day already but I haven't yet seen it eat anything. It is always staying at the back side of my javafern and seldom comes to the front.

How to get it to eat

I have some tetras and angels in the tank

On 6/6/2022 at 12:54 PM, Krish said:

I haven't tested the water yet but I think its good enough as the other fishes are doing well.

You understand that your other fish have different optimum water conditions than discus, right?

The optimum temperature, pH, hardness for Discus vs angels are quite different.

You may want to take the discus back to the store until you determine that your tank is capable of supporting that particular species as well as the current occupants.

Edited by AndEEss

On 6/6/2022 at 4:32 PM, Brian said:

Increase temperature 86-88.  Try live black worms, frozen blood worms.

call the pet shop make it was eating for them and ask what foods they used.  
How many Discus do you have?  

The problem is the other fish may not tolerate that temperature. Which is why I asked him about his current parameters. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, Krish said:

I haven't tested the water yet but I think its good enough as the other fishes are doing well.

It is not necessary to have high temps. But they do need very clean water, water that is crystal clean from lots of biofiltration. 

Discus are very funny finicky creatures. Lots of them scare easily.

They really need to be in groups of at least 6. I did have a pair at one time that did great but they were larger like 4".

You my friend are going to go down a rabbit hole if you want to keep these fish. They are not for the beginner or the faint of heart. 

My advise is to return it and read up on them like crazy, then decide if you really want to keep them. 

Even perfectly healthy ones will hide for days before coming out to eat, even with lots of friends in there.  Everyone of them is different. 

Mine love frozen blood worms, freeze dried blood worms, and Tetra Pro Crisp flake. They go crazy for the frozen blood worms. 

Bottom line, they drive me crazy sometimes. 

• Like 1

I find that young/small discus want a seasoned aquarium.  They would like company, they are a social animal and love to be with other discus.  
What kind of tetras do you have?  Neons, cardinals, rummy nose and maybe even blood fin could work.  But something with an attitude (say black skirt) wouldn’t work as well.  

• Like 1