Dwarf Chain Loaches + Amano Shrimp

Zac

Does anyone know if chain loaches can be kept with amano shrimp? I’d think if the amano shrimp were big enough it shouldn’t be a problem. But I also don’t want to take a chance 

On 5/30/2022 at 5:42 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I think it would depend on if you wanted baby shrimp. The adults might not get bothered but they'd definitely eat the little ones. 

I’m just trying to figure out if the risk is worth it. Large amano shrimp and dwarf chain loaches are pricey 

On 5/30/2022 at 7:14 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I get it. I probably wouldn't risk it and just go with one or the other. 

Invertebrates are typically fair game most of the time to the loaches. 

Any ideas for creatures that will eat pond snails that can fit in a 30 gallon other than assassin snails? The population isn’t terrible rn but when I start introducing fish into my tank I want to have an easier time controlling the snails once I start feeding the fish

Here's the issue. Once you add fish- depending on what they are and how much they eat the snails may or may not be a problem. For example I have a 20 gallon that only had 10 Black Neons in there- so I fed 1x a day fairly sparingly and the bladders were well under control. Then I added my 10 Harlequin Rasboras to the tank- well I had to feed more- I saw a significant bump in snails population but not stupid. Then I added a new fish Bolivian Ram- who is hanging out only at the bottom of the tank (I'm hoping he'll snack on a baby snail or 10 from time to time but not their typical diet)- well I'm feeding more because some food has to make it to the bottom. The snails will grow in population. 

So- from this point you just have to consider what kind of fish you're adding- what their dietary needs are- what that can do to the pond snails. OR if you don't have shrimp- you skip that idea and get those super cute dwarf chains. If shrimp interest you- start a tank that is "pest snail free" thankfully shrimp tanks don't have to be too big- and you get to have both great species. 

Bonus- you already have a food source for your Loaches. 

On 5/30/2022 at 8:56 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Here's the issue. Once you add fish- depending on what they are and how much they eat the snails may or may not be a problem. For example I have a 20 gallon that only had 10 Black Neons in there- so I fed 1x a day fairly sparingly and the bladders were well under control. Then I added my 10 Harlequin Rasboras to the tank- well I had to feed more- I saw a significant bump in snails population but not stupid. Then I added a new fish Bolivian Ram- who is hanging out only at the bottom of the tank (I'm hoping he'll snack on a baby snail or 10 from time to time but not their typical diet)- well I'm feeding more because some food has to make it to the bottom. The snails will grow in population. 

So- from this point you just have to consider what kind of fish you're adding- what their dietary needs are- what that can do to the pond snails. OR if you don't have shrimp- you skip that idea and get those super cute dwarf chains. If shrimp interest you- start a tank that is "pest snail free" thankfully shrimp tanks don't have to be too big- and you get to have both great species. 

Bonus- you already have a food source for your Loaches. 

Unfortunately I only have room for one tank rn. It only has snails right now (I forgot to mention I have limpet snails and another small species I don’t remember the name of). It’s not quite cycled yet. Has a small amount of nitrites at the moment. I want the shrimp so they’ll eat the hair algae that’s starting to grow. But my tanks not super densely planted right now so it doesn’t have a whole lot of cover for fish. I do plan on adding more plants over time. Here’s my stocking plan:

A breeding pair of guppies

Amano shrimp (for hair algae control)

snails (will keep my glass clean)

some sort of bottom feeder (probably not the loaches anymore…maybe cory cats or something)

Edited by Zac

Ahh, ok so I'm guessing you realize you're going to have a lot of guppies very quickly with the light stocking you listed- that's great- are you planning for tank dividers to separate your pair's male/female babies? (I assume since you don't have room for another tank for grow outs). 

Honestly since your tank is very new, you may not need a hair algae eater- it's not unusual for newer tanks to get it- and it's fairly easy to manually remove until you get the algae growth under control. I get it every once in a while but now since my tanks are older and balanced- it's usually because the plant that has it has gotten too tall and the light is encouraging it. But shrimp are really cool (my water is no good for them). Snails are one of my favorite aquatic creatures- they do keep a tank incredibly clean- they will help you with this algae balance. 

Corycats are awesome- the only thing with them is:they are not algae eaters, so of course you have to feed them- this might contribute to your snail population as there will likely be leftover food- they do tend to be very good eaters though so if you get the balance right you may never have a problem! Corycat keepers here encourage groups of 6 or more but in a 30 with that population should be good. 

There are lots of smaller corycats you can get too so they won't be big bioloads for when you get those guppy babies!

Guppies are pretty great tank cleaners- when the babies are born too, they'll be picking at plants and substrate so that may bring the snail population back down at least for as long as they are there. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 5/30/2022 at 10:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Ahh, ok so I'm guessing you realize you're going to have a lot of guppies very quickly with the light stocking you listed- that's great- are you planning for tank dividers to separate your pair's male/female babies? (I assume since you don't have room for another tank for grow outs). 

Honestly since your tank is very new, you may not need a hair algae eater- it's not unusual for newer tanks to get it- and it's fairly easy to manually remove until you get the algae growth under control. I get it every once in a while but now since my tanks are older and balanced- it's usually because the plant that has it has gotten too tall and the light is encouraging it. But shrimp are really cool (my water is no good for them). Snails are one of my favorite aquatic creatures- they do keep a tank incredibly clean- they will help you with this algae balance. 

Corycats are awesome- the only thing with them is:they are not algae eaters, so of course you have to feed them- this might contribute to your snail population as there will likely be leftover food- they do tend to be very good eaters though so if you get the balance right you may never have a problem! Corycat keepers here encourage groups of 6 or more but in a 30 with that population should be good. 

There are lots of smaller corycats you can get too so they won't be big bioloads for when you get those guppy babies!

Guppies are pretty great tank cleaners- when the babies are born too, they'll be picking at plants and substrate so that may bring the snail population back down at least for as long as they are there. 

When it comes to the guppies, I think I want to let the fry be because I’m new to breeding in general. It’s sad but I think the mother eating a few babies may help as I “practice” so I don’t get super overwhelmed. I want to sell the fry just before they reach sexual maturity. I’m hesitant on keeping some due to possible inbreeding issues. I don’t have the resources to cull effectively at the moment.

Yeah Cory’s aren’t algae eaters but I don’t mind. I figure the snails will keep the flat surfaces clean and shrimp will do good with plants. I was debating on otos but they haven’t done a super good job on hair algae in my previous tank. This new one I have is a remodel of the old one. I’ve heard of some guppies harassing snails to death but not eating them. So if any die I’d like to have shrimp to eat the snail bodies because sometimes it’s very hard to find dead ones. Especially since my tank has a lot of hidden crevices 

Edited by Zac

Yeah no, mum and dad eating some of the babies is part of having guppies in the tank anyway. It still might be good to have some breeder boxes and at least 1 tank divider if you need to plan for say, separating the female so she doesn't get constantly harassed by the male. 

You are correct- Otocinclus do NOT eat hair algae. Very few fish do (for example SAE do). I think you have a good plan going forward- you seem to have given it a lot of thought. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 11:13 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yeah no, mum and dad eating some of the babies is part of having guppies in the tank anyway. It still might be good to have some breeder boxes and at least 1 tank divider if you need to plan for say, separating the female so she doesn't get constantly harassed by the male. 

You are correct- Otocinclus do NOT eat hair algae. Very few fish do (for example SAE do). I think you have a good plan going forward- you seem to have given it a lot of thought. 

Appreciate the help! I’m newish to fish keeping. Kind of messed up my first tank but it taught me a lot. I want to make sure this one turns out great

• Like 1