Aftermath of columnaris in guppy/shrimp tank

Adgepuff

Hi there!  Hoping to get some advice after a columnaris outbreak....

I will admit, I took in a guppy from a trusted aquarist friend and took a total risk.  I usually quarantine but I didn't do it this time and ended up with a columnaris outbreak.  Getting past totally kicking myself, the only casualty (thank the universe) was my friend's guppy.  My other 3 guppies and thier fry were moved to the hospital tank and are being fed medicated food now (kanamycin + metronidazole + nitrofurazone).  All seem fine with no worsening symptoms 5 days into the 10-14 day treatment period.

My question is, what do I need to do with my tank, if anything?  I have read that columnaris is ubiquitous and exists in practically all non-chlorinated bodies of water including cycled aquariums.  However, the tricky part is that I have many neocaridina shrimp and thier fry in my heavily planted tank.  Been doing small (10-20%) water changes every other day for now.

Any advice would be great, or if anyone has been through this before... either sterilizing your tank or otherwise.

Thanks!

Columnaris can survive for 30-35 days without a host just to be on the safe side I would not put fish back in that tank for a minimum of six weeks and I would run a UV steriliser

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 9:08 PM, Colu said:

Columnaris can survive for 30 days without a host just to be on the safe side I not put fish back in that tank for a minimum of six weeks and I would run a UV steriliser

Thanks for the advice Colu!  I've never used a UV sterilizer before.  I imagine since it's sterilizing it's going to kill off the beneficial bacteria... meaning I'd need to re-cycle the tank?

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!  Just read your other post, and I must say that I'm in awe of how well the post is put together.  Between your knowledge, clear explanations, and concise direction is just  amazing.  Thank you again Colu!!! 🙏🙏🙏

• Like 1