I thought tannins would lower pH

SandSea

On 5/28/2022 at 9:20 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

They are new for me, had them a couple of weeks and they settled in immediately! I got 6 and have 4 more on order to make a nice school in a 75 with geos and angels. I think they would look fantastic with silver dollars actually.

They are food aggressive, so you do need to be aware of any more timid feeders in the tank getting their share of food. Mine are with roseline sharks of similar size ATM as a temporary measure until the 75 for them is ready, and they don't let much food get down to the bottom 1/3 of the tank. 

I had silver dollars with an oscar years ago and loved them - they always managed to get enough to eat, so I doubt there would be an issue. I'd love to have them again but keep hearing how hard they are on plants and want to do a really lush planted tank on the side I would want them in. Is that your experience as well, or are they getting a bad rap?

I had about 5 that I had that lived for 11 years as kid until I went to college. Is been awhile since I’ve had them. I never had issues with plants but I had a amount of the green algae that tends to grow on the wood. I don’t remember what it’s called. I also had Romain lettuce in tank several times a week. Between the two I think that they had that to eat. As far  digging or pulling up I never had that problem. I had a good size tank then as well. I think tank size does help with with any schooling fish. I asked because it’s been about 20 years and I think that many fish that I have had years ago behaved differently. It could just be that I know more and pay closer attention. I loved mine in the past and I do think they have gotten a bad wrap. So my people get one or two and I feel that if you have just one or to they can’t Interact with the schools and maybe then they could do do more damage to plants . I really love them.  Thank you for helping.

@Jawjagrrl

Edited by Brandon p

On 6/3/2022 at 2:47 AM, Brandon p said:

I had about 5 that I had that lived for 11 years as kid until I went to college. Is been awhile since I’ve had them. I never had issues with plants but I had a amount of the green algae that tends to grow on the wood. I don’t remember what it’s called. I also had Romain lettuce in tank several times a week. Between the two I think that they had that to eat. As far  digging or pulling up I never had that problem. I had a good size tank then as well. I think tank size does help with with any schooling fish. I asked because it’s been about 20 years and I think that many fish that I have had years ago behaved differently. It could just be that I know more and pay closer attention. I loved mine in the past and I do think they have gotten a bad wrap. So my people get one or two and I feel that if you have just one or to they can’t Interact with the schools and maybe then they could do do more damage to plants . I really love them.  Thank you for helping.

@Jawjagrrl

I may yet do some silver dollars again - I really did love them. Hope you give the congos a try - I just added 4 more to my school, hopefully more girls but they are much smaller so hard to tell. Four of my original six have turned out to be male... and they are spectacular!

• Thanks 1