Guppy Strains

Cinnebuns

I recently made a post about achieving my goal setup with my guppies. One of my favorite male guppies is half blue and half red and therefore less "pure."  Although I won't breed him, I really enjoy him for himself. 

This got me wondering, what are some of people's favorite guppy strains and colors?  I'm not regretting at all my choices. I happened upon a $3 male at petsmart that is a red dragon. After learning more I got 2 higher quality blue dragon females from a breeder. These males are not a product of my red male as the females came already pregnant but future generations will be.

More and more I find dragons are my favorite strain and probably blue my favorite color. Purple is actually my favorite favorite but I know the color is unstable and actually a variation on blue so I would rather strive for blue and be happy with any purples that come out than strive for purple and get frustrated. Anyone correct me if my understanding of the genetics of purple and blue is off lol. 

When it comes to mutts, I'm not as much of a fan. There are def some beautiful mutts that out shine pure strains don't get me wrong!  It's just for me I like the aesthetics (spelling?) of a group of the same strains more. Different colors is fine but I prefer the same strain. 

What's your favorite?  What have you worked with in the past that you loved or hated and why did you love or hate them? (That question specifically is interesting to me)  What would you like to work on in the future and why?

Pics are always more fun!

Here's the video I linked in my other post that shows my first crop of males. I'm a proud momma. Grandmomma?

• Like 1

I really like your half & half male @Cinnebuns, but I'd make the same choice if I was breeding, to pick a stable pattern & breed for it. I haven't gone down the breeding road yet, and I was thinking to get some females for the 3 male guppies I have. But now I've developed an interest in the Goodeids since I just learned about them,so I will probably hold out for that. 

It’s hard for me to pick a favorite. Of the guppies I’ve raised my mutts have been my favorites because I’m interested in how variable the colors and patterns are. At the same time I also like the look of having a bunch of fish who look the same, for making visual impact, and that’s not possible with my mutts.