Panda Garra vs Hillstream Loach

Zach B

On 8/23/2022 at 11:16 AM, Jaspyjasp said:

6! o_o I think that is too many for my tank, but thank you for the tip. 

What size is your tank. These are small fishes - maybe slightly smaller than the common otto; and a lot less massive than a cory. I see a 12 gallon; that is probably too small for cory; i realize it is long but very narrow. Quite frankly i think the panda gara would work and i would drop the cory (unless you already have them). The biggest problem is that as a new tank it won't have much biofilm so neither panda gara nor hillstream loach will find much food. My panda gara seem ok with eating soilent green and bug bites (my tank is quite mature - about 3 years old). 

Edited by anewbie

On 8/23/2022 at 9:18 AM, anewbie said:

What size is your tank. These are small fishes - maybe slightly smaller than the common otto; and a lot less massive than a cory. I see a 12 gallon; that is probably too small for cory; i realize it is long but very narrow. Quite frankly i think the panda gara would work and i would drop the cory (unless you already have them). The biggest problem is that as a new tank it won't have much biofilm so neither panda gara nor hillstream loach will find much food. My panda gara seem ok with eating soilent green and bug bites (my tank is quite mature - about 3 years old). 

Hi @anewbie No, I have a 22G Long (36x12x12). So it’s pretty long footprint wise. I already have the Cory. I upgraded my tank to this 22L, so it already has a lot of biofilm, algae, and bacteria growing from the old tank - and planted as you can see up top. It’s grown a lot more biofilm/fuzzy algae since a few weeks ago. I prob won’t get a hillstream/garra for another month or so b/c my quarantine tank is currently occupied - so things will keep growing and getting fuzzy. Going to add more plants as well.

You think a Panda Garra would work better because it could do a better job eating algae? They sound super fun, but cant do 6 - not even 3 with the 8 cories 😕 the cories are small species- they’ll only get to be 2.2” or so max.

The garras can reach up to 3.5-4” right?

Edited by Jaspyjasp

On 8/23/2022 at 12:40 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

Hi @anewbie No, I have a 22G Long (36x12x12). So it’s pretty long footprint wise. I already have the Cory. I upgraded my tank to this 22L, so it already has a lot of biofilm, algae, and bacteria growing from the old tank - and planted as you can see up top. It’s grown a lot more biofilm/fuzzy algae since a few weeks ago. I prob won’t get a hillstream/garra for another month or so b/c my quarantine tank is currently occupied - so things will keep growing and getting fuzzy. Going to add more plants as well.

You think a Panda Garra would work better because it could do a better job eating algae? They sound super fun, but cant do 6 - not even 3 with the 8 cories 😕 the cories are small species- they’ll only get to be 2.2” or so max.

The garras can reach up to 3.5-4” right?

No fish is going to solve an algae problem. The best I've seen are sae but they require a 55 min and 200 is better.  Panda Gara tend towards 3-3.25 inches; mine are not full adults yet so i don't know if they have a large difference between male and female (like cory). I'd buy the fish because you find them interesting and you have a suitable environment. They are more or less an alternative to otto. 

-

Actually live bearers do a pretty good job at eating algae (as long as you don't over feed them); so that is swordtails/mollies/platties and to a lesser degree guppies.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 12:15 PM, anewbie said:

No fish is going to solve an algae problem. The best I've seen are sae but they require a 55 min and 200 is better.  Panda Gara tend towards 3-3.25 inches; mine are not full adults yet so i don't know if they have a large difference between male and female (like cory). I'd buy the fish because you find them interesting and you have a suitable environment. They are more or less an alternative to otto. 

-

Actually live bearers do a pretty good job at eating algae (as long as you don't over feed them); so that is swordtails/mollies/platties and to a lesser degree guppies.

Thanks for your input! Yeah i dont expect them to solve any algae problem, but be cool to have something fun that could enjoy it and clean a bit. I’ll keep thinking 🙂 I’m picking up a couple more amanos today and looking forward to having them.

Appreciate your thoughts and sharing your experience! 🙏 thank you so much!

I have both in the same tank. I'd rate the hillstreams a little higher on algae cleaning, but the panda garras are entertaining goofballs. With a 12 gallon tank, the panda garras might be a tad big though--mine are in the 3 1/2 inch range and pretty chunky. That said, panda garras are one of my favorite fish (there's nothing like trimming your plants, feeling something on your arm, and realizing that you've got 5 fish trying to clean you off), so it's hard not to recommend them.

• Love 1

On 8/23/2022 at 2:29 PM, ACW said:

I have both in the same tank. I'd rate the hillstreams a little higher on algae cleaning, but the panda garras are entertaining goofballs. With a 12 gallon tank, the panda garras might be a tad big though--mine are in the 3 1/2 inch range and pretty chunky. That said, panda garras are one of my favorite fish (there's nothing like trimming your plants, feeling something on your arm, and realizing that you've got 5 fish trying to clean you off), so it's hard not to recommend them.

I have a 22G (36x12x12), so not small 🤣 but, i have 8 corys that will grow to about 2.2” each.

How many of each (hillstream and garra) do you have, if u may ask? I just went to fish store and panda garras are so cute 😍🙈 Just want to see what combos ppl have to see what could work.

On 8/23/2022 at 2:56 PM, Jaspyjasp said:

I have a 22G (36x12x12), so not small 🤣 but, i have 8 corys that will grow to about 2.2” each.

How many of each (hillstream and garra) do you have, if u may ask? I just went to fish store and panda garras are so cute 😍🙈 Just want to see what combos ppl have to see what could work.

I have them in a 40G breeder. I have 6 of the garras and, uh, around 6 of the hillstreams. I have a rocky area that I put in for the hillstreams to hide in and, well, they hide well in it. I have several paleatus cories in there as well (8-10 of 'em, from a trio I put in that decided to breed...) There is probably a clown pleco in there too--I've seen it twice in the 18 months I've had it. I also have a few amano shrimp that I moved in from another tank, so as far as clean-up crews go, I'm set, heheh. Other fish in the tank are harlequin rasboras (around 15 of 'em), to add some interest to the middle of the tank.

Because so many of the fish are on the bottom or on the glass (or in the rocks, plants, etc.), it doesn't look overstocked, and I have a cannister filter running to keep the water moving for the hillstreams, so it hasn't really required more water changes than my less-stocked tanks.

• Love 1

On 8/23/2022 at 3:15 PM, ACW said:

I have them in a 40G breeder. I have 6 of the garras and, uh, around 6 of the hillstreams. I have a rocky area that I put in for the hillstreams to hide in and, well, they hide well in it. I have several paleatus cories in there as well (8-10 of 'em, from a trio I put in that decided to breed...) There is probably a clown pleco in there too--I've seen it twice in the 18 months I've had it. I also have a few amano shrimp that I moved in from another tank, so as far as clean-up crews go, I'm set, heheh. Other fish in the tank are harlequin rasboras (around 15 of 'em), to add some interest to the middle of the tank.

Because so many of the fish are on the bottom or on the glass (or in the rocks, plants, etc.), it doesn't look overstocked, and I have a cannister filter running to keep the water moving for the hillstreams, so it hasn't really required more water changes than my less-stocked tanks.

Thank you for the context! That’s awesome! Your tank sounds like a bigger version of mine without the Hillstreams/garras (yet 🤣). I have 8 little corys, 6 espeis/pork chop rasboras, 6 white clouds, and 4 amanos in 22L (36x12x12). Want to complete it with the hillstreams/garras. Thanks for sharing!! 🙏🙏🙏 I agree that with all the bottom dwellers and glass suckers, it prob doesnt look that stocked.

Panda Garras seem to do well as individuals as well. At least mine seems to be doing great. He was recommended to me by someone at the co-op as a fun, peaceful  fish to add to my community and he’s one of the biggest personalities in my tank. One day I’d love to have a group of them, but the one guy I have now is already enough chaos. They’re great little weirdos so even if you only get one you’re in for a lot of entertainment. 

They’re so social, too. Hillstream loaches and clown plecos tend to stay hidden. I almost never saw my clown pleco when I had her. If you want a fish that you’ll see often then Garras are a good pick. Mine always comes up to the front of the tank when he spots me. I’ve included photo evidence of my guy, Bruce, chilling in his favorite spot on the side of the tank where he can watch me work. He zooms over every morning when I sit at my desk. Incase you aren’t convinced yet. 😉

4996911B-634D-4FD3-9F0C-775031B6CFFE.jpeg.17f82dd975461b610d3ef891545faf28.jpeg2595ED52-9034-4C3C-A543-BDDEA99EBF38.jpeg.2ca44ca1f4f36f9fa6e42dfbd448cb2c.jpeg5141E478-CCA7-462A-A0DE-D81CDDBCAF5F.jpeg.808aa3a245bfdd15f1a3038867e617e0.jpeg61001369-2DA1-4802-A789-A88BF3650DF0.jpeg.f3d9c3438c6cc367e92d05147d675234.jpegBFF0DF02-2F0D-436F-9A51-3865AF9052A5.jpeg.f3d6895869b7f655dd0db53f325d37c7.jpeg

Edited by SpacedCadette
  • Love 1

@SpacedCadette !!!! SOOO CUTE!!! That’s so awesome that he comes out for you! I do hear they are big personalities 😍 That’s one of the reasons I like corys so much.

is that a mystery snail? How are they at cleaning?

Thank you so much for sharing. It’s also great to hear that you’ve had experience with all of them in small numbers (garra, hillstream, AND the clown pleco). I think hillstreams would come out more if there is more than one, from what I’m noticing. At this point I’m kind of considering at least one of each for final tank, and for sure the Garra since it is so social. I’ll try him out first 🙂 Thanks! 

• Love 1

I've got "borneo sucker" variety of 'hillstream loach'.  And they're itty bitty little things about 1.5" max.  Usually pretty busy, but they do like to hide in their rock pile and behind stuff.  I started with one and fairly recently added two more.  I've yet to see them near each other.  But my daughter said she saw two of them close to each other the other day.  They're in a 38 gallon that's tall, basically a 29, but taller. 

• Love 1

On 8/24/2022 at 10:13 AM, jwcarlson said:

I've got "borneo sucker" variety of 'hillstream loach'.  And they're itty bitty little things about 1.5" max.  Usually pretty busy, but they do like to hide in their rock pile and behind stuff.  I started with one and fairly recently added two more.  I've yet to see them near each other.  But my daughter said she saw two of them close to each other the other day.  They're in a 38 gallon that's tall, basically a 29, but taller. 

1.5” is small!! I’ll have to look up that variety. Its nice to get small things…so you can get more 🤣

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 12:16 PM, jwcarlson said:

Hey thanks!! Helps a lot - especially the pics in size comparisons compared to the cherry shrimp!! It’s weird bc without the cherry shrimps there, it looks so long 🤣 Thank you!! 🙏

Edited by Jaspyjasp
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update - I got a little panda garra and Little Nessie is the BEST 😻 So much personality and such a hard worker! Getting along great with everyone in the tank and is colored up happily 🙂 also great with my dwarf shrimp.

Pretty much cleaning my glass squeaky clean and decimating my green hair algae. Thank you @SpacedCadette@anewbie @ACW and everyone for your help! 🙏 pics below 🙂

E95843A8-0BE3-416F-BBAD-2F9A3DF094C4.jpeg

1E9CE977-BB1F-4CD9-BB29-9D0FA473BCEC.jpeg

E959808F-0AFA-4F97-BC5C-7A803157038D.jpeg

4892EF49-C3CB-48E4-9515-723C889E5D9A.jpeg

Edited by Jaspyjasp
  • Love 1