Apisto Flashing

DreamScape_Aquatics

Well maintained, 3ish month old tank has one breeding pair of A. Borelli 'Opal'.

Last spawn, mother was raising fry very well as usual. Father minding his own business. Mother goes into hiding on 10th day of fry free swimming. Stays hidden 3 days, emerges finally to eat. No fry left, still yellow but color has faded drastically. The second she comes out to eat starts flashing on everything, 15+ times. Test water...

Results

20 long

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, 0

ph 6.2

temp 82

TDS 85

Why? I have many tanks so cross contamination is always possible but all other tanks are seemingly disease free. I just don't understand if the Female had flukes, ich, etc... that would have presented itself by now. Male is fine seems nothing has changed with him. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Have you noticed any white stringy poop rapid breathing hanging near the surface the fact that nitrates are zero could mean your tank hasn't cycled and you could be getting swings in your parameters stressing your fish

@Colu No white stringy poop.  The male tends to hang around the surface on top of a sponge, but that's also his favorite line of sight break whenever the female starts getting angry. I have a pretty large chunk of Pothos growing out of the tank which handles nitrate really well. I've had nitrate in the tank and it builds slowly but gets reduced so much that on the test strips its practically negligible occasionally there will be the slightest hint of color. Also my first action before coming here was detoxify anything nasty with prime and load it with stability for a few days. I was pretty much of the same mindset as you, maybe the cycle crashed, or maybe it never even cycled. Yet she still flashes. She doesn't even swim now, just flashes constantly. Seeing as I have no idea what parasite is causing it, I'm just gonna give the whole tank a salt treatment and hopefully she pulls through.