Amano Shrimp

Zac

Hey all,

I’d like to get some amano shrimp for my 29 gallon but idk how many I should get. I’d like for there to be enough to take care of algae, but not too many that they hog all the food. How many should I get? I’m debating between either 5 or 10

In my experience, it's extremely unlikely they'll hog all the food (especially if there's ample algae), but that depends on what all else is in the tank. For example, I've never had Amano with other shrimp (and in fact have never kept any other varieties of shrimp). What all else will be in the tank?

• Like 1

@Zac, they’re so funny to watch. They’ll come out of nowhere to steal food as it falls through the water, but it’s easy to add a little extra for them. If you get adults you’ll be ok with 2-3, but you might want a few more if you get juveniles. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 5:07 PM, Zac said:

I’d like to get some amano shrimp for my 29 gallon but idk how many I should get. I’d like for there to be enough to take care of algae, but not too many that they hog all the food. How many should I get? I’m debating between either 5 or 10

I have 12. I could easily have 15 and be good.  It all depends on what the scape of the tank is.  If you have wood, I'd say the shrimp have a bit more grazing area to go and pluck food off. Big/tall rocks would work as well.

(It's a 29G tank as well)

Edit: Here's a photo from yesterday 🙂
20220516_155802.JPG.e69217aeff9c0a89ce77563fd6dce666.JPG.1cebdd1cacc1b131db0d5246e01e4ddf.JPG

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 3

On 5/17/2022 at 11:16 PM, Baphijmm said:

In my experience, it's extremely unlikely they'll hog all the food (especially if there's ample algae), but that depends on what all else is in the tank. For example, I've never had Amano with other shrimp (and in fact have never kept any other varieties of shrimp). What all else will be in the tank?

Some dwarf chain loaches and guppies 

On 5/18/2022 at 9:59 AM, hannah662parker said:

I think 10 would be great! Shrimp are much more comfortable and happy and exhibit more active behavior when their numbers are larger. 

Any recommendations on websites to buy them? I see so many different ones and I want to avoid imposter amanos 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 10:23 AM, Zac said:

Any recommendations on websites to buy them? I see so many different ones and I want to avoid imposter amanos 

I've never bought amanos online so I'm not too sure, but I would see if Aqua Huna carries them, as that's the retailer Cory and most people on this forum recommend 👍