Test strips not working?

ArryJ

Hi-

I recently bought the aquarium coop test strips and they repeatedly showed the exact same test numbers for a few days through my cycle. I got a bit confused- as it seemed like my tank was cycling properly so I tested my local fish tanks water. The test strip showed everything on the lowest number again at the fish store! (I can guarantee their water is cycled 😅)! What should I do?

Edit: The photo of the test strip image.png.9b7fbc22a77dd86a752de2c0b2fd3ad0.png

Thanks so much 

Arry

Edited by ArryJ
Photo

That is interesting. I would start testing other things.... like soda, or lemon water, or water with baking soda.... 

Honestly though, that is interesting. Are you following the instructions exactly? Was the container left open at any time?

I would email customer support and see what they say.

On 5/17/2022 at 5:40 PM, ArryJ said:

Hi-

I recently bought the aquarium coop test strips and they repeatedly showed the exact same test numbers for a few days through my cycle. I got a bit confused- as it seemed like my tank was cycling properly so I tested my local fish tanks water. The test strip showed everything on the lowest number again! What should I do?

Thanks so much 

Arry

Sure ill try baking soda water- what results am I looking for?

Also no, I have not left the container open at all and followed instructions directly.

PS:I forgot to add its not my local fish tanks water- its my local pet stores water xD

Lemon should lower the pH. Baking soda should raise it. You could also adda a drop of bleach to see if the chlorine test changes. I'm trying to think of other things that you might have around the house that would normally raise those numbers to test and see what your test strips say.

On 5/17/2022 at 6:18 PM, AndreaW said:

Lemon should lower the pH. Baking soda should raise it. You could also adda a drop of bleach to see if the chlorine test changes. I'm trying to think of other things that you might have around the house that would normally raise those numbers to test and see what your test strips say.

Thanks I'll try that right now and get back to you

(Also thanks so much for the help- its much appriciated)

On 5/17/2022 at 6:19 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I'd take my aquarium water to fish store and ask them to test it (or see if there test gave the same results as yours).

Are you doing a fish in cycle, ghost feeding or using ammonia to cycle, the first stages can take awhile 

The results were the same in the local pet store tank- I sent a photo of their tanks results in my post 🙂

I feel like its probably the test strips being faulty

On 5/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, ArryJ said:

Alright so I put ALOT of baking soda in the water- And absolutely no change.

I looked it up, there definitely should be some change at least! I'm not sure what to do next

Then definitely email customer support. They are awesome and will take care of you!

On 5/17/2022 at 6:35 PM, AndreaW said:

Then definitely email customer support. They are awesome and will take care of you!

Just did- they already responded! Thank so much Andrea for the support though 🙂

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

How are you testing the water? The #1 cause of an incorrect result is improper following of directions. Once we rule that out we can look at other things.

Make sure you're swishing for 3 seconds, then letting it rest on a level surface for 1 minute.  Then compare to the chart.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:11 PM, Cory said:

How are you testing the water? The #1 cause of an incorrect result is improper following of directions. Once we rule that out we can look at other things.

Make sure you're swishing for 3 seconds, then letting it rest on a level surface for 1 minute.  Then compare to the chart.

Hey Cory (I watched your videos :D)

Yes- I followed directions and even timed the one minute. I read other posts about the same thing and did leave my test strip elevated on tongs as you can see in the picture, with the same results. The Baking soda test, at least I think, really showed that the test strips were flawed, so after talking to customer support I did get a replacement.

Other then this one problem, I love the store a lot and left a review :))

Thank so much everyone for helping!

• Administrators

Can you test your tap water? The problem is, the likelyhood of 1 bottle of test strips being faulty out of a huge manufacturer run is really small. With no other kit, it's hard to verify anything.

If you're cycling a tank with ammonia for instance, it often crashes the pH/buffer. Fish store water could be crashed as well technically. The baking soda test doesn't make sense either. Being that there are different tests on each one, if it were to be "faulty" it would be like 1 of the pads not working. I suppose there could be something in your local water that is skewing all results, but we haven't seen that either.

I'd like to help you get to the bottom of it, as I'm afriad a new kit would have the same results as you're getting now.  Do you happen to have a list of chemicals that have gone into your fish tank so far?

But to start, does tap water and the fish tank water look the same? I want to be clear, I'm not being accusatory. I'm just playing detective to figure out how this result is possibly happening as we sell huge amounts of these and see wide spread success and finding out how they are failing can only help us improve.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:20 PM, Cory said:

Can you test your tap water? The problem is, the likelyhood of 1 bottle of test strips being faulty out of a huge manufacturer run is really small. With no other kit, it's hard to verify anything.

If you're cycling a tank with ammonia for instance, it often crashes the pH/buffer. Fish store water could be crashed as well technically. The baking soda test doesn't make sense either. Being that there are different tests on each one, if it were to be "faulty" it would be like 1 of the pads not working. I suppose there could be something in your local water that is skewing all results, but we haven't seen that either.

I'd like to help you get to the bottom of it, as I'm afriad a new kit would have the same results as you're getting now.  Do you happen to have a list of chemicals that have gone into your fish tank so far?

But to start, does tap water and the fish tank water look the same?

Yes it does, and the products in the tank are:

- Tetra aquasafe(Dechlorinator)

- Flourish Advance (1.25 amount of dose to maybe slightly speed up plant growth)

- Xtreme Betta fish food (one scoop)

- 2 snails - One Nerite One Apple