Cinnebuns

Current parameters 

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 20

PH:  8.0

GH: 16, down from 19

KH:  10, down from 14

About 4 or 5 days ago I found a snail had gone for a walk. That same day I noticed some other behaviors in the tank that made me check my levels. I had 0.25 ammonia and 40 nitrates. Both much higher than expected. I did a water change. Next day same story. The following day all parameters tested normal. The only thing of note of today's parameters is the decrease of GH and KH. It is not at a level i would be concerned with but the decrease is something I'm going to watch. I have many snails building many shells so that may be why. 

Since then all fish and snails have acted normal but a female guppy. Both my female guppies are overdue for having babies. One is 6 weeks since her last and the other 5 weeks. Both also look very thin for being this far from their last batches. Last week, one (I'm not sure which as they look identical) jumped out of the tank and was on the carpet for about 10 minutes. I'm not sure if it's the same one, but I have noticed one resting on decor a lot. Usually this indicates to me they are close close giving birth, but it has been about a week and no babies. A couple of days ago I also noticed a strange looking "poop" on one of them. Again, not sure if it's the same one. Both have had their color looking off as well. 

I'm wondering if this is indicating a parasite. Being thin, acting not well, plus the strange "poop."  If it is a parasite, or I decide to treat either way, I do have paracleanse on hand. I want to make sure this is snail safe before I use it. 

20220507_165054.jpg

20220507_155304.jpg

20220505_112428.jpg

20220505_112322.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 5/7/2022 at 6:55 PM, Colu said:

Have you noticed any rapid breathing flashing fish hanging near the surface have are they eating ok and still losing weight

I have noticed rapid breathing and flashing. I even thought one might be in labor one night but it's been 3 days since then. Tbh, I'm not sure if they are eating. 

Edit:  I just saw them eat some of the algae wafers I put in.   Still can't say if they are eating as much as usual but at least some. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 5/7/2022 at 8:02 PM, Colu said:

Have any developed a sunken belly if so it could be wasting disease you want to treat with fritz Expel p active ingredient is levamisole once a week for 3 weeks

No I haven't noticed any sunken belly

• 2 weeks later...

@Colu I am about 1 week after the first treatment of paracleanse. I have been dealing with covid so my care for the tanks has been lacking. Earlier I noticed the guppy in question was not looking well and was resting at an angle. Just now I found her dead. It's hard to be 100% certain since i have 2 that look identical, but a few weeks before she started showing these signs one of my 2 females was found on the carpet. It took awhile after scooping her up but she came back after some time. There's a chance an injury happened or she picked up some bacteria or something during this episode. 

Now we come to my reason for posting posting. Would you continue with a 2nd round of paracleanse? I lean towards no because no other fish or snail shows signs of issues.