Tank crash

Al Janecko

I lost a colony of cherry shrimp today, I had a tank set up in a different room from my fish room, my son go sick and I didn’t check it for 3 days, the pump must have died and the whole tank perished, I’m completely bummed out, 

• Sad 3

Oh man... As a fellow RCS lover, I'm sorry to hear it.  What size tank and how many shrimp were in there?  I started my RCS tank about 2 months ago and am always checking it for warning signs.  My other tank has really been struggling lately with a LOT of unexplained deaths, which has made me more paranoid overall so I watch the RCS tank like a hawk.  I hope it doesn't discourage you from re-establishing the colony, those little guys are so fun to watch when they are out and about.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, Al Janecko said:

I lost a colony of cherry shrimp today, I had a tank set up in a different room from my fish room, my son go sick and I didn’t check it for 3 days, the pump must have died and the whole tank perished, I’m completely bummed out, 

Dang!  I had this happen 😞  We had the house go down with the sickness and I couldn't be around my tanks. Power went out because the water kettle flipped it and 24-36 hours later I walk into my QT tank with the impeller stuck and no flow. My shrimp were not ok and I never want to see that in my tank again.  I totally understand and have such sympathy for the issue you're going through.  I went through 2 months of that bacteria slime growing trying to get the cycle back.  Just horrific stuff for me.

BUT.

I want to be encouraging towards what you have going on.  Is there a different color/variety of shrimp that you wish to try?  Is there something about the tank you want to change but haven't been able to because it's been an established working tank for you?  Now is the time to take a breath and a step back and adjust whatever you want to.  In future, because this happened, you'll have an extra eye out trying to make sure this doesn't happen and the tank in question will bounce back!  You got this, chin up, and enjoy building back up.

• Like 1