Is this a major concern?

Ben Ellison

I just checked my tank parameters and I have let the tank go a little to long with out a water change it seems. Ph is low around 6.5 (normally around 7.6) due to buffers being depleted (low kh) and now my nitrates are a good bit higher than I'd like. Gonna do a large water change but what drew my attention to the issue is the scales on my green severum. Will these heal on their own or medical attention required?20220502_213656.jpg.a696b1fa9020e28e582095d579c9fe7b.jpg

Remember cichlids can be pretty tough and rough on each other.  I would do the water change and May service the filters and add some stress Coat.  
A little salt never hurts, unless you have plants and looks like you do.  So if you use salt…..   Be Careful…..  I would not.  
As for Medicine, if the fish seems normal and healthy I would wait a couple days.  Why stress the entire tank with meds?   
Good Luck

• Thanks 1

The only plants I have in that tank is some Amazon swords. If he does require some meds I will have to move him because he is in a 75 gallon and who can afford to med that size tank lol. I have a 20 gallon I can but him as a hospital tank if need be. I'm gonna do a 30g water change tonight. Then another in a couple days. And see how it goes unless he gets any worse in the meantime. I have meds on hand luckily and will pick up salt after work to have ready.

• Like 1

So status update. I went to check on him yesterday before the water change and all signs of this miscolored scales have vanished. I still went ahead with the water change but I'm really unsure what the deal was and how it cleared so quickly. Is it possible he shed a couple scales?