Is this dropsy and is it spreading

tzahroxi

I had a fish last month that had dropsy that I put down. I come home tonight and check on my tank and two of my fish look like they could have dropsy. I did a water change yesterday and all my fish looked fine then but today they looked like this. The panda one suddenly got very skinny me had a raised portion around the “hip” area. The bumble bee suddenly has a large growth on the mouth and their left side is raised, she is active and eating fine though. What should I do?

I recently added some crushed coral to the filter cause I was having a drop in pH to where is was  around 6.3

167CAB4C-D52A-43EC-A01D-17DABE09EBD7.jpeg

ACD42032-65AD-4BB1-98E2-3497495D8C7E.jpeg

23FF76B4-A405-4E24-9F5B-4E0DF74226C6.jpeg

DD96FF04-D6BC-4898-A9CE-EAAADEE89CA6.jpeg

Edited by tzahroxi

• Administrators

If I had to guess, it's run down immune system from the low PH. Is your pH above 7 now? How is the hardness in the tank? I'd probably move em to quarantine if you had it and dose aquarium salt and let em sit in that with extra minerals and a ph above 7.

On 4/28/2022 at 11:59 PM, Cory said:

If I had to guess, it's run down immune system from the low PH. Is your pH above 7 now? How is the hardness in the tank? I'd probably move em to quarantine if you had it and dose aquarium salt and let em sit in that with extra minerals and a ph above 7.

normally my pH is a little above 6.5 but not 7. i have drift wood in there which was the likely cause but i added a new piece about two weeks ago and my pH was 6.3, which was a bit too low than i think they could handle so i added some small bags of crushed coral to the filter box  to help with it. i normally have hard water with a moderate KH, but when i checked my pH just now is was around 7.2-7.5. ive already moved the worst one the panda to quarantine. and ive added salt to both my main tank and the quarantine. what should i do from there?

Livebearers would take well to salt. You can start with 1 TBSP per 3 gallons, and increase if needed.

To be honest, that mouth growth looks like it could be mouth rot from something like Columnaris. I would start some antibiotic mends as well. You can find a treatment for Columnaris, which is Kanaplex+Jungle Fungus Fizz tabs. Kanaplex is also recommended for Dropsy, though that is tough to treat overall.

Kanaplex works well in the food (if you can), and you can add the fizz tabs to the water column.