Crayfish having babies...How to become a breeder

Jeanyne

Hi There,

I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. My boyfriend and I have crayfish, multiple different kinds. They ended up having babies. We donated the first batch. Now we have two more batches that have hatched and are growing bigger and bigger. We have so many healthy ones we would like to try and continue breeding if possible. I was wondering if you had any tips or knew how to become a certified breeder. A lot of the places near our home in Massachusetts won't take them if they weren't raised by a breeder. Any advice on what to do? I did searches online and can't seem to find any info regarding how to become an invertebrate breeder, but I can only find tips on HOW to breed them. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and any helpful feedback is welcomed!

I’ve not bred crayfish so cannot help there.  Ask the LFS what specifically they consider as a breeder.  Often if they get to know you and see pictures of your tanks and groups of critters that is good enough for them.  It is a trust thing.  Building a good relationship with them is often all it takes to know they are not just taking unwanted unhealthy critters (like a fish pet shelter) or that you are not wild collecting critters.  Sorry I can’t help more but maybe this can give you an easier way.