So I've got green water, what should I do before I get rid of it?

ange

Moved my brine shrimp hatching station and inadvertently gave myself green water in a tank that was already slightly imbalanced due to being treated for velvet. Now I have green water! The tank is already properly blacked out and the hatching station relocated, but I was wondering what I should do other than culture infusoria? I recently got a new rack and am finally in a position to raise some of my fish that have bred before but I did not have space to raise the babies of (sparkling gouramis).

I know that this is a temporary situation so I'm wondering what else I can use the green water for while I have it. Using it to jump-start an infusoria culture is all I've been able to come up with so far.

On 4/26/2022 at 7:35 PM, T. Payne said:

Raise any fish fry in it. I raise rainbowfish in green water and the growth rate is far faster than raising them without it 

I unfortunately don't have any fry at the moment but I'll have to file that away for another time! I recently came upon a new rack (which will be my first) so I'm hoping to finally raise some of the fry that my gouramis put out from time to time. Until now I've always broken the bubble nests because I didn't have space to raise the babies and I've had experiences with the odd baby making it if I let them hatch out. Nature finds a way and given the size of their tank, it wasn't hospitable to more than my pair.

Green water tends to go away on its own. There's lots of little stuff in our tanks besides the bigger stuff we put in and that tiny little stuff tends to eat algae and grow and reproduce. Pretty soon they'll be eating the algae faster than the algae can grow and the green water will start to disappear and it'll be gone. Time generally cures green water, especially in established tanks with lots of life in it.  If you have access to a microscope and can take a look at a drop or two of your tank water, you'll likely find lots of little stuff in there. If there's not any life in your water, then a few drops of water from a local stream or river will move in some life forms that will find the algae a delicious snack.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:21 AM, gardenman said:

Green water tends to go away on its own. There's lots of little stuff in our tanks besides the bigger stuff we put in and that tiny little stuff tends to eat algae and grow and reproduce. Pretty soon they'll be eating the algae faster than the algae can grow and the green water will start to disappear and it'll be gone. Time generally cures green water, especially in established tanks with lots of life in it.  If you have access to a microscope and can take a look at a drop or two of your tank water, you'll likely find lots of little stuff in there. If there's not any life in your water, then a few drops of water from a local stream or river will move in some life forms that will find the algae a delicious snack.

I'm fully aware of this! That's why I was asking what I should use it for while I still have it.

• Like 1

So short update. Clearly someone was happy (GBRs). A few days ago I wouldn't have even been able to see the eggs but now I just barely can. I've already pulled some green water into jars near my brine shrimp hatching station so I'm hopefully good for the future.

20220429_103945.jpg