The Socorro 20-Gallon Community Tank

Baphijmm

A second journal, for a new tank going up presently in Socorro, NM.

I recently purchased a house so I can continue my graduate education, and while going through the shed in the backyard, I found an old 20-gallon tank a previous resident left behind! I didn't trust any of the equipment with it--it had clearly been a kit, and frankly everything looked like it had been abandoned--so over the months I began obtaining new stuff. The tank was cleaned thoroughly using a diluted vinegar--there were ample calcium deposits, a common problem with the water in New Mexico--rinsed, tested for leaks, and once I determined everything on the tank itself was fine, I began "souping it up", as it were.

The tank came with a standard background, which I then more closely cut to size and affixed to the back of the tank with SeaView Background Mounting Solution, a substance I've used a couple times on tanks elsewhere with decent success. I put it on an Imagitarium stand from Petco, stuffed a Top Fin heater in there, and rigged it with a Fluval 207 canister filter. The substrate is standard Seachem Flourite, and the pieces of wood were obtained from Amazon, sight unseen. The light is a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CRV, 24".

The tank was allowed to cycle over the course of a month, whereupon I began introducing plants, then fish. All plants are culture-grown; the foreground is Ammania sp. "bonsai", the midground is Cryptocoryne beckettii, and the background is Alternanthera reineckii. Of the three, only the Crypts have been slow to take off, though I expected this from the well-known "Crypt melt" phenomenon.

At present in the tank, I have three Corydoras punctatus and two gold Pomacea bridgesii; on the Corys, that's all the Petco had at the time. (I intend to double that this week, assuming the other stores I plan to go to this week actually have this species.) Eventually, when I can find them, I plan to introduce a school of ~10 neon tetras, and after a couple weeks, I want to toss a male betta in there as well. (Give the other fish time to establish and all that.)

The Corys have dug up a few of the Crypts in this picture; things weren't very well seated, as I don't have any planting tools at this place yet. I also intend to remedy that this week.

2022-04-20 12.09.37.jpg

• Like 5

Made a trip to Albuquerque today, as the class I typically have in Las Cruces was canceled. Albuquerque appears to have the opposite problem: Neon tetras all over the place, and hardly any variety in Corys!

Nabbed a school of 10 neons at my first stop, Clark's Pet Emporium on Lomas. It's one of my favorite LPS's in the city, lots of variety. Clark's is a small local chain; I think they have three locations? I've been to this one and the one on Menaul; both are pretty sweet, but this one stocks some harder-to-find fish on occasion (like the marthae hatchetfish I want to get for my Rio Negro tank). Alas, while they did have a couple discus, very little else in stock was anything I was looking for, so I walked out with just those fish.

Next stop was the Petco on San Mateo. There are a couple NICE Petco locations in Albuquerque; I remember the one on Lomas is a lovely standalone outbuilding with a unique layout, lots of tanks for sale last time I went in there, but the one on San Mateo is closer to my usual haunts and tends to have some surprises. Alas, that was not the case today. I did pick up a bunch of supplies and a couple guppies for the Rio Negro tank (including a Moscow Green male), but no new specimens for this tank. While they did say they do sometimes have punctatus Corys, they didn't this time.

Final stop was the PetSmart on Mercantile. This place used to be halfway decent, but I guess since the pandemic hit they severely downsized their aquarium section. Fish tanks were barely lit, and honestly basically nothing worth getting. I did get a little freezer baggy of frozen bloodworms, which handily melted in the car ride home. (It's an hour drive to Albuquerque from Socorro.)

The neons colored right up after a couple hours in the tank; I had to rush off to a seminar as soon as I got them in the water, then spent a fair amount of time waiting for prescriptions that had been submitted that morning to be filled, but by the time I got back, they were beautiful. A little food got them going, so now they're relatively confident in the tank; I imagine they'll grow more so as the plants begin to grow.

Pictures are the front view of the tank, a selection of the neons, and a quick shot of one of the two snails in there. Coming together!

2022-04-21 20.18.45.jpg

2022-04-21 20.19.27.jpg

2022-04-21 20.21.14.jpg

• Like 3

Returned to Socorro for the week to find most everyone happy and healthy. Imagine my surprise when I know the guy at the fish store counted out 10 neon tetras, I counted out 10 in adding them to the tank, and last night discovering I actually have 11! It's "just another neon tetra", but still, a surprising find.

The two Inca snails are probably the least happy right now, and that's because I keep forgetting stuff at the observatory. My commute here is, no joke or exaggeration, around three to three and a half hours each way, so I only make the drive once a week. This tank is filled with RO water from a store in town; they sell it in large enough quantities, plus this is only a 20-gallon tank, so that seemed significantly more economical than springing for an RO system of my own here (though I probably still will in the future). As with everywhere in NM, the city water in Socorro is extremely hard; it's actually all from a hot spring on the west side of town, so it's entirely groundwater and loaded with lime. Hence, using RO water.

Of course, using RO water with snails means they aren't getting any calcium. I have two big jugs of the stuff at my place at the observatory that will almost certainly never get used there (see my adventures with RO systems on the Rio Negro biotope tank for why), but I keep forgetting to grab them and stuff them in the car in my mad dash to get out the door at 10pm. So, I've not been able to add any. Gonna try to grab some tomorrow during my trip down to Las Cruces for class there (itself a ~2.25-hour drive each way; yes, I do drive around 11 hours a week just for school). Hate to have to do it, but I definitely have to. You can actually see the beginnings of it in the picture of one of the snails in the immediately-previous post, the slight lightening of the shell around the base; it's MUCH more noticeable this week, and the other snail's actually got a little ridge where the shell's dissolving. Calcium is needed in this tank yesterday.

I also ordered another chemical, Seachem's Replenish, as soon as I noticed the problem last night; that should be at the observatory when I get back on Friday. Stuff's supposed to do exactly what I should have been doing from the beginning with this tank, putting the actual necessary minerals and whatnot back into the water. Even though I will definitely be adding calcium tomorrow (assuming the store has any...), I'll still plan on using this next week, just to be thorough.

Water tests fine; GH is a little surprising at 75 ppm, but I suspect that's actually from the calcium from the snails' shells dissolving in the water. Nitrates are a little high (not dangerously so, only ~10 ppm), but then the culture-grown plants are finally starting to "melt" back before they begin their submerged growth. (Actually, the Rotala of all things has already begun its submerged growth pattern, which is frankly astonishing; I'd heard Rotala indica "bonsai" is notorious for melting back to near-nothing in this sort of situation.) KH could be a little higher too (again, RO); I'd just grab a chunk of limestone and toss it in there, but I know that'd tank the pH pretty bad. Still, for what it is, it's doing exceptionally well.

Plans for tomorrow include trying to grab the aforementioned calcium, and hopefully grabbing three more Corydoras punctatus to round out their numbers. I've got one more plant I want to add, but it's not here yet, only just having been delivered to the observatory today; I'll bring it up next week, probably keep it in the unoccupied betta tank there until I do. (It's not something that'll melt from disturbing any roots, I'm pretty sure, though admittedly I've never tried growing this plant before. But, I'm not expecting any roots anyway.) Been dosing conservatively with Easy Green, two squirts a week until things start to get their underwater legs; will start doing root tabs too, again once things get more established. Then, in a couple weeks, I should be able to toss the centerpiece betta in there, and the tank will be on its way. 😄

2022-04-27 20.17.16.jpg

2022-04-27 20.17.21.jpg

2022-04-27 20.17.34.jpg

2022-04-27 20.18.30.jpg

2022-04-27 20.20.06.jpg

Edited by Baphijmm
Incorrect dosage of Easy Green noted; I use two squirts a week, not one.
  • Like 1

I may be misinterpreting your description so if I am I do apologize.  I also do not have great eyes so may not see what you are speaking of. 
The red arrow light spots are wearing away/ erosion of the shell

The yellow arrow was caused by a small chip when that piece was whitish and newer growth  

The blue arrow light shell and ridge are new growth that is alway light.  It darkens with time.  
The green arrow ridge where the shell seems to get a touch larger. I see this when I move them to a larger tank or they begin getting more food.

The line that formed at the green arrow will happen with parameter shifts or tank moves  I keep all my tanks the same but even slight variables from one to the other cause this line  

Other than the slight erosion at the spire point red arrow I see a very healthy mystery snail.

Hope that helps.  If I’m way off base on what you were speaking of I apologize again  

4C8D0983-1981-4D19-89FA-BBBD6836362F.jpeg

F2C7A063-2828-45B4-8D7A-06A21655130D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 6:38 AM, Guppysnail said:

I may be misinterpreting your description so if I am I do apologize.  I also do not have great eyes so may not see what you are speaking of. 
The red arrow light spots are wearing away/ erosion of the shell

The yellow arrow was caused by a small chip when that piece was whitish and newer growth

It's remarkably difficult to tell in that photo; in fact, I thought this was the other snail from this shot, until you pointed out the "dent". (The other snail looks significantly healthier, though I do still believe more calcium is in order. EDIT: Actually, I still do think this is the other snail!) Here's a MUCH better picture of what I'm talking about. This shows the "seam" radiating back from that "dent". (And you can see both snails for a side-by-side comparison!)

2022-04-28 18.08.11.jpg

Edited by Baphijmm
Editing because I misspoke about which snail was which.

Wow yeah that looks way different.  Where I circled in red looks like his actual growth plate edge was permanently damaged when he was that size.  It can be permanently damaged causing the following area to not be able to form shell.  As they grow the area with no/almost no shell widens.  The green may not cover in shell or full shell.  I can’t see if it’s body is exposed or just ultra thin shell.  More calcium always helps.  They need magnesium to properly utilize the calcium.  They need calcium in the water and diet.  Poor guy.  At least he/she has you trying to give him/ her a great life. 

6644CE17-5B10-4ECC-9E42-DC5B5F6E3673.jpeg

On 4/28/2022 at 6:18 PM, Guppysnail said:

The green may not cover in shell or full shell.  I can’t see if it’s body is exposed or just ultra thin shell.

It's just ultra-thin; there is shell there. I've dosed some calcium, so we'll see. Started with a low dose since all the store had was the stuff intended for saltwater coral setups, so I'm hoping it doesn't tank the other parameters (since it's designed to raise pH quite a bit).

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 8:49 PM, Baphijmm said:

stuff intended for saltwater

If it is Kent’s marine liquid calcium it is the exact same stuff as api liquid calcium I have used both whichever was on sale cheapest when I had softer water. I only noticed it raise ph if I dosed heavy and it did that over the course of 24-48 hours. 

Alright! Last final is out of the way, and while I still have three homework assignments and a major project (all of which were thankfully given extensions due to my recent surgery), the semester's pretty much over. And it couldn't happen too soon; frankly I've been counting the weeks since the beginning of March. 😛

The Socorro tank has been doing alright, in spite of everything. The pH is super-low, likely due to using RO water with effectively no KH to buffer it out. I did dose the tank with Replenish upon arrival this week, and so the GH is quite good now. (Perhaps a little high even, considering I do want to keep a Betta in there. Definitely need to do a water change next week anyway, I think.) Did have two neon tetras die during my time in the hospital, which was frustrating but not terribly surprising, especially considering the pH and general lack of minerals in the water.

I believe, after much comparison across the internet and reading discussions on the matter, that the "punctatus Corys" I'd gotten from Petco are, in fact, salt and pepper Corys, Corydoras paleatus. This is fine; I really just wanted some different-looking Corys for this tank, and those guys are pretty different from the usual bronze, panda, or julii Corys! I've only ever been able to count five at a given time this particular week, though I've not been able to find a "body" for the sixth, so I'm not sure if the last one is just hiding or if the snails already disposed of the body. I'm hoping it's the former.

Crypts and Alternanthera reineckii are in about the same state as last week; I know it takes them a while to establish, so I'm trying not to be impatient. At the very least they're all still obviously alive, with minimal melt, so I've got that going for me. Also introduced the likely final plant to the tank, an accent piece I'll share if it survives. (I expect it will, but right now it's not exactly impressive.) Easy Green ferts dosed for the week, and I've now started to add Easy Iron to the mix, since I know the Alternathera at least will appreciate it.

2022-05-05 21.00.42.jpg

2022-05-05 21.01.07.jpg

2022-05-05 21.01.11.jpg

2022-05-05 21.03.08.jpg

• Like 3

Welp, semester's officially over, whether I like it or not; the "major project" mentioned in my last post, I'd put on the backburner since the other courses are by far more important, and I didn't get it in before final grades were due. Still did well enough in the rest of the class to have pulled through, but frustrating nonetheless. Don't get emergency surgery the weekend before the last week of classes, I guess. :V

In the meantime, still making weekly trips up to Socorro since I do own that house, want to check in on things, not the least of which being keeping this tank going. At this point, everyone seems pretty happy! Plants are still trailing behind a little bit compared to where I'd like them to be, but it's not like that's a gigantic surprise; these were all tissue cultures, so growing them submerged AND in substrate is all a pretty big shock for them, I know. Still, I do believe the scarlet temple has genuinely begun growing, and I know the bonsai rotala has been. The one plant that seems extremely slow on the uptake is the one you'd expect, the Cryptocoryne beckettii. I'm quite certain they're growing roots at least, as the Corys have stopped uprooting them and I doubt they've stopped trying. Any growth is good growth, even if you can't see it.

The final "centerpiece" plant I added last week is also being pretty slow, but again, I'm not expecting miracles. It was an ACO get, so I know it was probably grown emersed before I got it. Similar "shock" to the others. It'll get there.

Things that still need to be done: I need to get some KH in there; the RO water from the store is, naturally, wholly lacking, and while I've been able to get the GH up just fine (as evidenced by the damaged snail's recovering shell, but also I've been testing and verified this), KH at this point is effectively zero. The pH is also rather low; I'd prefer it be closer to 7.0, but right now it's hovering around 6.4. I've got a big jug of "Lake Malawi Buffer" at the observatory, which would solve both problems; I'll just have to remember to bring it with me one of these trips. I'd also like to start CO2 on this tank in the near future, so having KH and pH properly balanced should be a high priority.

And finally, as the tank's other parameters have balanced out rather nicely, I think it's about time to start looking for the male betta who'll be the centerpiece fish for the tank. I'll likely have a follow-up appointment at the hospital next week to check in on my surgery recovery, so I might use that as an excuse to check out one of the pet stores on that side of Albuquerque which I'm never at otherwise. (I'm told it's an exceptionally nice location, as that's definitely the wealthier part of town.)

2022-05-10 15.09.38.jpg

2022-05-10 15.09.47.jpg

2022-05-10 15.09.53.jpg

2022-05-10 15.10.11.jpg

• Like 1

Returning this week, everyone seemed to be doing alright; however, some time between last night and this afternoon, I seem to have lost a Cory. Down to four now. Can't imagine what happened; everyone else is doing wonderfully, and last night everyone seemed to be good. Not seeing any signs of disease or anything on anyone, even on the body. It was one of the littler ones though, so maybe it was getting bullied for food and I just didn't see it.

But, in spite of this (because I didn't notice until I got back), I ended up getting the "centerpiece" fish for the tank: A beautiful Black Orchid betta male. He was probably the healthiest-looking betta in the place, but also I've always wanted to get a Black Orchid. They're so pretty. He was raring to go the whole time I had him acclimating, and the moment I moved him into the water, he immediately began exploring. Hasn't been a problem with anyone, hasn't tried to attack anything. Even so, this evening he's been being something of a border collie for the neons, not even chasing them around so much as just, wherever he swims, it seems to "corral" them. It's cute!

I've decided, after looking at OLD pictures from back when I was first getting this tank set up, that all the plants are indeed growing, or at least all the tissue culture ones. (The centerpiece plant I got from ACO hasn't started growing yet, but funny story, someone was using the bulb as a soccer ball while I was gone for the weekend. Dunno if it was the Corys or the snails, but the thing was quite a ways away from where I'd put it. Nothing damaged because nothing was growing from it yet, but it did give me an opportunity to verify the bulb still seems alive, at least.) Even the Cryptocoryne beckettii is definitely growing; the newer leaves appear to be the ones with darker outer margins, which give them an interesting appearance. Don't know if that's a thing, or if maybe I've got a nutrient deficiency, but I think it looks neat. 😛 Scarlet temple is definitely growing, quite a bit and quite well; looking forward to how those take off whenever I manage to scrape together a CO2 system. And the Ammania 'bonsai' (which I'm going to start calling it, because apparently it's almost certainly that genus instead of Rotala) is still going strong too, seeing a bit of spreading even, which is exactly what I wanted out of it. Hoping it takes over the front of the tank.

I actually ended up over-compensating for the lack of minerals in the RO water I was using here, and so now the hardness is up way high. XD (It doesn't take much, apparently!) It's fine for now, but I'm gonna have to do water changes anyway, so I'll just hold off on adding anything to the water when I do.

2022-05-17 16.07.28.jpg

2022-05-17 16.08.33.jpg

2022-05-17 16.08.54.jpg

2022-05-17 16.09.34.jpg

2022-05-17 16.09.53.jpg

2022-05-17 16.10.00.jpg

2022-05-17 16.10.08.jpg

• Like 1