my tinfoil hat fish conspiracy.

CT_

On 4/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, Tanked said:

. . .  That was some of the best advice I've ever gotten.

I have forgotten what the specific situation was, but about 40 years ago I told my supervisor about a problem and then stood there looking at him, waiting for him to tell me what to do.

He said "Glenn, don't ever bring a problem to your boss's attention without presenting him with at least one possible solution."  I don't remember his name (I only worked under him for a few months), but I remember that advice, and have tried to follow it.

Another bit of workplace advice that I didn't get from anyone in particular is "When you make a mistake at work (and you will), try to be the first one to let your supervisor know about it, explain how it happened if you can do that without it sounding like you're making excuses, and at the same time present your plan to keep it from happening again.  Don't try to hide it, or make excuses, and above all don't blame others."

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 4/22/2022 at 9:21 AM, JettsPapa said:

I have forgotten what the specific situation was, but about 40 years ago I told my supervisor about a problem and then stood there looking at him, waiting for him to tell me what to do.

He said "Glenn, don't ever bring a problem to your boss's attention without presenting him with at least one possible solution."  I don't remember his name (I only worked under him for a few months), but I remember that advice, and have tried to follow it.

Another bit of workplace advice that I didn't get from anyone in particular is "When you make a mistake at work (and you will), try to be the first one to let your supervisor know about it, explain how it happened if you can do that without it sounding like you're making excuses, and at the same time present your plan to keep it from happening again.  Don't try to hide it, or make excuses, and above all don't blame others."

Do you want to teach a life lessons class to my college freshmen?  Joking aside, they could use all of that and more!  I wish we valued wisdom as much as we do brilliance these days.  Our world would be a better place.  Thanks for sharing those! 

• Like 1