Fertilizing Plants in Tank

Ulrum

So right now I have two medium sized java fern, a small anubias, and a medium sized water wisteria. I have some hornwort as well in a separate tank that I may be adding into my main tank soon. I was wondering if I should be adding more than the recommended amount of fertilizer , or if I'm at the correct amount just dong what it says on the bottle.

I'm currently using the Aqueon brand general fertilizer as well as the Seachem bioavailable carbon supplement, but I'm planning on getting my hands on some Easy Green soon instead since I'm almost out of my general fertilizer.

25 minutes ago, Ulrum said:

So right now I have two medium sized java fern, a small anubias, and a medium sized water wisteria. I have some hornwort as well in a separate tank that I may be adding into my main tank soon. I was wondering if I should be adding more than the recommended amount of fertilizer , or if I'm at the correct amount just dong what it says on the bottle.

I'm currently using the Aqueon brand general fertilizer as well as the Seachem bioavailable carbon supplement, but I'm planning on getting my hands on some Easy Green soon instead since I'm almost out of my general fertilizer.

I wouldn't immediately up the dose of any fertilizer after adding new plants. They need time to acclimate and establish, and that's the time period algae likes to take advantage of excess nutrients. I'd probably keep up the dosing per the bottle instructions regardless and keep an eye on health and growth. One thing I've had to learn with plants is patience. It takes weeks to notice the results of any changes in their environment, but the good news is you have enough time to react to negative results.

• Like 1

I appreciate your response! 

I've noticed my tank's first bit of algae growth as I've added some of these plants in, so I'll have to keep in mind that the algae is also taking advantage of the same nutrients, so adding more may not always be the right call.

• Like 2