Fry and the Med. Trio

MorJayy

I have an established molly tank, but I just got a few new fish to add to the mix. I wanted to give them the Med trio since they are a little skinny even though I feed well. The problem is I Have fry in a breeder box in the tank. Cory says you shouldn't feed fish during the week of treatment, but I'll starve the young ones if I do that. 

So should I just feed the babies, or will that hurt them with the meds in the water? 

Ideally you would have a separate QT, but it is not always possible.

I had some Least Killifish in my QT and one dropped fry while in quarantine. I had the same question. This is what I understand. It is best not to feed while using the quarantine trio of meds, mainly to reduce waste in the water since you can expect your nitrogen cycle to be negatively impacted. The fry may not survive without food, so you will need to feed. I did daily water tests, then dosed with water conditioner when Ammonia and Nitrites started appearing. You should avoid water changes because you will dilute the meds.

• Like 1

Definitely agree with @Widgets about the lack of food being to preserve water quality and minimize water changes. Personally I preserve the quality by feeding small portions of live (bbs or vinegar eels) or frozen food (blood worms or spirulina shrimp) and netting out the waste. Both feed far more cleanly than most commercial diets.

• Like 2